失った過去「二十四」

Elysium, a paradise where only mortals who were related to the gods or the purest of the pure could reside amongst them after finishing their journey. It was a peaceful and beautiful place; full of meadows, groves, sunlight, and fresh air.

Choirs of angels praising the Creator could often be heard upon first arrival, laugh and cheer blooming everywhere as individuals that reside there went about their lives.

One faithful day, a new seraph was born. Created from the fountain of light, a young child emerged from its waters, purest as one can be. Her wings stretched across her back, standing tall.

"My child," the Creator offered his hand, and gracefully the child took it, exiting the holy waters. "Welcome."

Before the two could leave the plane of light and let the new child meet their brothers and sisters, a bubbling sound came from the fountain as another young seraph emerged. Their wings fluttered once, clumsily retreating to their back as they looked around meekly.

"How strange." the Creator murmured, taking swift strides towards the other child. Crouching down to their height, he offered a free hand. "Welcome, little one."

The child accepted his hand, leaving the waters. The Creator casted his divine gaze down at the new seraphs, placing a hand on both their heads. "From now and forward, you shall watch over the mortal realm and guide their souls to the Elysium Fields..."

"...Azrael and Azazel," he smiled. "That will be your names."

..........

Azazel hugged their legs, watching from afar as Azrael played with the older angels. They were often left out and ignored, seemingly their sister was more favored by others than them.

Was it because she was better at everything she did? She received praises and love whenever she achieved something, while Azazel only received a pat on the head. They were always overshadowed by her, it was inevitable that they slowly felt resentment bubble though them.

But they were a seraph, a high ranking angel, they should not feel any negative emotions for they are pure, ethereal beings. And their sister was always kind towards them, they shouldn't resent her.

Azazel was ashamed.

Some time later, the both of them were assigned to their first mortals to watch over. They went on their separate ways to protect their masters, barely interacting for centuries.

That is, until they were assigned to protect the same mortal. From that point, the two already had well established individuality, knowledge of the world, both good and the bad, and centuries of experience. Because of their clashing personalities, however, they had a hard time coming to terms with their new mortal.

Their new master was a descendant of the goddess of love, an elf who was striving to become a mage and make the world a more peaceful place.

Because of such ambition, she was guaranteed a place in Elysium.

***

"Ow!"

"I told you to sit still," Irene was patching their wounds, careful not to touch their wings. "Honestly, there isn't a day where you don't quarrel with your sister."

"Because she's a bitch!" Azazel miffed. "She's the favorite while I'm just her shadow."

"Why did I have to exist?" Their wings drooped. "Father admitted it himself, I wasn't supposed to be born. I'm just a mistake."

"Don't say that." the elf tugged their bandages a little too tightly. "You are never a mistake, you exist for a reason. Both of you are equal, no less than the other."