03: EXCUSES

"I have something that's rightfully mine in your hands. Mind giving it back?"

You froze in fear as a hand met your shoulder. They were evidently calm despite you just pickpocketing them. Hold on... how did he even find you?

With a groan, you shook his hand off your shoulder and turned to face him.

"Don't touch me, creep." You said rudely, forgetting the fact that it was your fault you were here.

"Don't take people's things, and maybe I won't." He replied.

You two shared an awkward look, yours more of discomfort. You gave the bag of mora back silently, feeling a little shameful that you got caught. You never got caught, so this guy must've been someone with extremely good senses.

"You're from Inazuma aren't you?"

Your breath immediately hitched as you drew your blade. The man's eyebrows were raised, almost surprised by your reaction. By no means did he even sense that this would be the outcome.

"Drawing your blade out in the middle of the city. You're quite brave, aren't you?" He teased, lowering down your sword using his bandaged hand.

"You're with them, aren't you? That's how you know where I'm from." You asked, words laced with fear yet harshness.

"Them? May I inquire who you're talking about? And lower your sword, people are watching."

The bystanders were indeed watching the scene in front of them — so you immediately sheathed your sword with a huff.

"The... The Nobushi and Kairagi. You're one of them, that's how you know me. Am I correct?" You asked with a low tone.

The man in front of you pursed his lips as he tried to keep a calm composure. He eventually failed, falling into a pit of laughter. Your eyebrows furrowed in confusion. This was not a laughing matter at all!

"I am a masterless samurai, but by no means a Nobushi! Haha besides, how could they even reach Liyue?" He questioned playfully.

Your tense body loosened up after hearing those words. He's right, how would they even reach you? That is why you left Inazuma... so that they couldn't bother you. Just that realization alone made you feel more stupid than ever.

Not only did you embarrass yourself by being caught, but you drew your blade at an otherwise innocent man because of your overthinking behavior.

"...Alright, I get it! You can stop laughing now." You nudged his shoulder.

"Hah... That was the most I've laughed in months..."

"So to answer my question, you ARE from Inazuma, right?" He asked once again, tone calm and gentle. It was almost as if he wasn't a laughing mess just moments before.

You gave a nod in reply.

"Good to know I'm not the only fugitive of Inazuma in Liyue then. I am Kaedehara Kazuha, but because we have no need for formalities here in Liyue, you can just call me Kazuha."

Kaedehara... That name was familiar...

"I escaped Inazuma because of the ever so kind, Captain Beidou of the Crux fleet. What about you?" Kazuha looked at you, waiting for a reply.

"I'm... Y/N. Just Y/N. I escaped be— Did you say Captain Beidou?" You asked eagerly. Ever since you arrived in Liyue, you've been itching to have the chance to meet the captain of the Crux.

"I see you've heard of her. Do you need anything from her?" 

"You might not know her, but Yoimiya told me to go ask Beidou for help once I get here." You explained.

His teasing eyes finally softened up, his body relaxing physically. He seemed to get more comfortable as the conversation went on. Kazuha could, more or less, assume that you were no threat.

"I know her, yes. We had to ship her fireworks from Inazuma to here for the Lantern Rite. She told you to meet the captain, huh? Well then, let me have the honor of leading the way." Kazuha stated.

"What should I do in return?"

"I'm not doing this because I want something out of it. Just take it as... a welcome to Liyue gift. From a fellow Inazuman fugitive." He joked, holding his hand out for you to take.

You looked at his hand and back at his face. You were undoubtedly confused. You were rude and even tried robbing him and yet here he was, helping you out.

You gently took his hand, still a little awkward. He knew you had more questions but was glad you decided to keep them for the time being. For what it's worth, you were quite intriguing to him too.

From the interesting conversation he had with you, he even forgot to purchase the red maple leaves he so eagerly wanted to buy.