24: WANGSHU INN

You felt quite terrible if you were going, to be honest. No, not because you felt sick. If that were the case, you would just suck it up.

You felt terrible because Kazuha had to push your wheelchair around Liyue for two whole days.

He's already done so much and now this.
After everything, you couldn't help but feel bad.

"I really can't just stay here?" You asked.

"Unless you want your pay to be cut in half. I'm sure Kazuha wouldn't mind wheeling you around!" Beidou replied in her cheerful tone. You grimaced, feeling as though she planned all of this out.

"I mean... Ugh, I guess I wouldn't mind getting my pay cut in half..." You muttered.

Beidou's smile immediately dropped as her eyes widened. She faced your body and held your shoulders.

"Absolutely not."

"But I feel bad-"

"Captain's orders, Y/N! This is no longer an offer but an order!"

"I— Heavens, If you want me to go so badly then fine. But if Kazuha hates me after this-"

"I'm sure he won't. Don't ya think, Cap?" Sea Drake assured, putting an arm around your shoulders.

"Definitely! He wouldn't mind one bit!"

After a few more words were exchanged, Kazuha finally arrived at your meeting spot. You looked over and waved at the samurai with a smile. His eyes lit up upon seeing you, returning your greeting.

"Look who it is! Well, I'll leave you two alone now. Enjoy your trip- I mean um... Enjoy your journey? Ah, whatever." Beidou said, walking off. The woman waved with her back turned, Sea Drake, following shortly behind.

You pursed your lips, feeling anxious. Though, as soon as you felt Kazuha's hand on your shoulder, you relaxed. You looked up at him, seeing a caring gaze.

"Let's go, shall we?" He said.

"Mhm."

The trip was mostly silent, the noise of the city drowning your ears. It was easier to just breathe and take in your surroundings than to talk. Kazuha felt the same.

Though, as soon as you exited the city gates, you were met with silence. It was a peaceful one. One where you could hear the grass brush against each other, and where you could hear the footsteps of every animal. A silence where you could hear your breath. One where you were given space to think and sit in your thoughts.

You noticed that every silence shared with Kazuha was not one of loneliness or awkwardness. Rather, it was always calm. Comforting.

"How was your sleep?" Kazuha asked.

"It was nice. Long."

"Did you have any dreams?"

"Yes. It was short, though."

"What was it about?"

"I was in the ocean again. Somehow, I always go back to that day. The dreams I used to have all disappeared after that day."

"Do you think of it as a painful memory?"

You paused for a moment. You had to think about it deeply. Why were you so okay with your fate when you knew deep down you had regrets? Interesting. You never really thought about it.

"Surprisingly, no. It was scary, but I felt at peace. I'm glad I didn't die that day, but at the same time I felt ready."

"Why so?"

"I don't know either. But do you want to know what's funny?"

"Hm?"

"During those moments, my only regret was not being able to thank you."

As those words fell from your mouth, Kazuha's world stopped for a moment. As he absorbed what you had just said, he felt a small smile creep upon his lips.

"Thank goodness you didn't die then. I wouldn't want to be the cause of your regrets." He joked.

"That's not the point! I just feel like I haven't paid you back for everything you've done."

"That's what you don't understand, Y/N. I don't just do this for everyone. I don't want anything from you because I feel happy being of service to you." Kazuha confessed.

"That sounds pretty romantic." You laughed.

"Who knows, maybe it's meant to be that way."

"Oh, stop teasing."

You shared a comfortable silence once more before you burst into laughter. This is why you loved the samurai's company so much. Before the romantic feelings were friendship.

You could laugh, cry, playfully argue, and have deep conversations. There are people who you could be yourself with, and there are people who make you discover things about yourself. Kazuha was both.

In some way, you realized you weren't such a monster. Seeing a good man happy when he was around you made you feel like you weren't a monster.

You always thought you were undeserving of such luxuries. You always thought you were such an evil person. Yet he always knew how to change the way you looked at yourself.

He was too good for you.
Yet he never made you feel less than.

He was rare. And you were glad to have met him.

"Let's go sightseeing when we get there. Since Beidou pressured us to come together, let's enjoy our time."

"I agree. If she made you push me around Liyue, might as well enjoy our stay."

For the rest of your journey, you were met with many beautiful sights. Liyue was a beautiful nation, and it was a pity you haven't had the time to explore yet. Whenever you had the chance, you stood up to observe the flowers. You picked some local specialties and put them into your bag neatly.

Kazuha only looked at you. Whenever you showed him a flower that you collected, he'd happily listen to what you had to say. Apparently, Huixing lent you her books on herbs and Liyue flowers in general.

As the day slowly came to an end, you finally reached your first destination. Wangshu Inn.

You have never experienced riding in an elevator before, but it was cool in your eyes. Definitely better than using the stairs.

The lady at the desk immediately noticed your figures and greeted you. A man also came to your side, presumably her husband.

"Hello, Welcome to Wangshu Inn! Is there anything you need?"

"Um, we're here under Captain Beidou's orders?"

"Oh! Of course. She already sent a message ahead of time. Here are your keys! Enjoy your stay!"

Upon grabbing the piece of metal, you realized it was only one key. You looked at the lady confused, then looked at Kazuha.

"Excuse me, is there only one room?" You asked.

"Yes. Beidou only booked one room."

"Oh."

Kazuha closed his eyes, letting out a sigh. He massaged his temples as he realized what was happening. He already knew it was suspicious, but now his guesses were correct. At this point, he wouldn't be surprised if there was actually nothing to be picked up at Qingce village.

As you turned to look at Kazuha, you noticed his stressed expression. You put your hand on top of his, putting them down.

"You okay?"

"I'm fine... I just thought of something."

"Do you not want to share a room? We can just pay for another one."

"No! I'm perfectly fine with sharing a room. We've done it before, after all."

"Perfect. Let's get going then."