29: GLANCE

haven't updated in more than a week so I bless everyone with 2 chapters!! I can't believe we're already in chapter 29!! 16-ish (?) more chapters to go hehe.

🍁

It didn't take long for you to return to Liyue Harbor. Though the lanterns had been lit and the people shuffled home, the city was still wide awake. As you boarded the Alcor, you noticed that the ship was already prepared to sail. The crew had worked exceptionally hard that you forgot you were only gone for a day.

As soon as Beidou's eye caught sight of your figures, she excitedly walked over. Her eye glimmered, checking for any signs of a union. To her dismay, it seemed only tension was present. Not exactly what she hoped for, but she could still make it work. 

"So, how'd you enjoy your..." Beidou asked. Though mid-way she stopped, not knowing what to call your little rendezvous. You only looked away, eyes scattering as you avoided the topic.

"It was... fine. Here's the package you asked for." Kazuha spoke. As soon as he put the box in Beidou's hand, he started to walk away. You mimicked his actions, only wandering the other way.

Eventually, he reached his quarters, and you reached the bow of the ship. The rest of the crew was left confused, assuming some fight had happened. Beidou and Sea Drake, though, laughed like school girls.

"Well, just a little bit more and they'll get there," Beidou smirked, opening the box. There was nothing special inside, just a simple tassel to decorate her claymore.

🍁

The morning after wasn't as pleasant as yesterday. You woke up to an empty side of the bed, finding yourself reminiscing. Though that train of thought quickly dissipated. Maybe he felt the same way, but you couldn't dare imagine it.

In another room of the Alcor, was someone who felt just like you. There was no lingering scent of home staining his pillow. Only an emptiness that he never expected to dislike. The sun was warm, but the warmth he yearned for was different.

Despite this, you carried on. The Traveler boarded the ship and the ship sailed. Though you focused on sweeping the deck, you could feel a pair of eyes focused on you instead. You tried pretending you didn't sense it, looking in the opposite direction when you had the chance.

You were scared to face what you confessed. It's your first time feeling this way, and you felt afraid to do anything about it. There was no denying that you wished to talk to him, to hear his voice. But even the thought of seeing his face brought a sense of panic.

Kazuha, though, hoped you'd glance his way. Just once.

He knew the air of tension was not to disappear any time soon. It didn't hurt because he understood. He was a straightforward person yet felt as though he burdened you with his feelings. However if he could only ask for one thing, it would be a second of your attention. A second.

A second passed, then a minute, an hour, and eventually a whole day.

In your eyes, the sun had set sooner than expected. You assumed it only looked that way as you started entering Inazuman territory. The clouds started to turn grey, but no storms were in sight. None yet.

An anchor was lowered and lanterns were lit on the ship. It was bright, and warm in the ambiance as well.

You sat on a nearby chair, feeling your legs involuntarily shake. Working as a distraction wasn't exactly the best idea, you realized.

Beidou glanced over at the sea in all her glory. Posed in a powerful stance, as if braving the storm up ahead. Of course, when she turned around, she became typical Captain Beidou. Responsible, yes. But uplifting, too. Emphasis on uplifting.

She started to sing a tune, one that the crew was all too familiar with. That started the spark of songs that continued for the rest of the night. There was dancing and alcohol, laughing and chatting. It was a gleeful atmosphere despite the road you were to face.

You were quite disappointed that you couldn't dance, or talk to your favorite person. But the Traveler keeping you company was more than welcomed. They smiled, sitting beside you.

"Is it usually like this?" They asked with a smile. You shook your head no, surprising the hero. "I think Beidou's trying to keep our moods up before the eventual storm. She's good at keeping our spirits high."

"I can see that, hehe."

"Sometimes I wish my travels were always like this." They confessed. You looked over, stunned by their statement. Suddenly, you saw the familiar sorrow in their eyes. One that you could empathize with.

"It can get... lonely, right?" The Traveler nodded.

"It does. But not to worry, Paimon helps ease that loneliness. She's a great companion, despite all the teasing I do."

"I understand that. My loneliness only recently lessened because of... Well..." You couldn't finish your sentence. You couldn't say his name.

"Kazuha, right?"

You scoffed in a lighthearted manner, feeling butterflies at the mention of his name. Eventually, your silence became the answer for the blonde.

"It doesn't take long for someone to see that he's important to you. The same goes for him. I was there when he saved you, you know."

Your brows furrowed. The full details of your rescue were never completely revealed to you. At least not yet. The rule was to recover, then discover.

"It was incredibly tragic to watch, Y/N. I haven't seen you talk to each other so I assume something's up. But trust me when I say he'd do just about anything for you." With that, the Traveler put a hand on your shoulder and stood up. They left you alone to sit with your thoughts and reflect on them.

You watched as they conversed with Beidou, then watched the crew dance. Your eyes naturally led their way to your person. Finally, after avoiding him the whole day, you gazed at Kazuha.

His eyes were already glued onto you. They never left ever since the small party commenced. He saw as you frowned when people danced while you couldn't. Saw your chat with the Traveler and the pondering. He waited patiently for the moment you'd spare him a glance.

And you finally did.

The moment your eyes locked, you realized how stupid you were being. The way his eyes softened, how they lit up as soon as yours looked at his. The feeling that grew in your heart became addictive. It was like a drug you couldn't stop taking.

You no longer cared if the feeling was new, uncomfortable, or fearsome. It made you feel whole.

Beidou noticed immediately, signaling Sea Drake to quickly wrap up the party. Lucky for them, most of the crew were drunk and ready to crash. It didn't take long to get everyone off the deck.

Finally, it was only you and Kazuha. Alone, once more.