37: AN OLD FRIEND

You wake up in a trance.

The world is blurry yet you hear music in the distance. The space you were in was blank, a place of pure emptiness, the house nearby being the only sign of life. You ran over to the small building, looking inside through a window.

"Look!" A feminine voice chirped. She seemed so ecstatic, so thrilled that her baby was dancing. The baby was merely twirling around, waving its arms once in a while.

"I guess they like this song, too." A masculine voice laughed, picking up the much smaller body from the ground. The man swayed to the song playing on the phonograph, a gift from an elf he met in his youth.

Through the melodies and laughter, the three were not aware of a threat lurking just outside the door. It was ready to strike, unforgiving to anyone inside the room.

BANG!!

The loud noise jolted you awake, the music still lingering in the back of your head. You were now awake, yet the dream stuck in your mind.

It felt so real.

Most of the time, you'd get the same nightmares or the same dreams. If not, then you'd dream of experiences that already happened. But this was different, too different.

You knew Yashiori Island was notorious for its tatarigami, causing hallucinations as one of its effects. You assumed it was merely that — nothing more, nothing less.

You shrugged it off and rushed to get up. You were set on finding Yui, but first, you wanted to see another friend. A friend who has helped you in the past and could help you now.

"I'll be off to meet Yoimiya." You told Kazuha who had his arms crossed.

"The Tenryou Commission already knows who you are and what you look like. If they see you—"

"I'll sneak in. I've done it countless times before. I just wanted to inform you in case I do get caught." You interjected.

The samurai sighed. He knew there was no stopping you when it comes to your desires. Plus, he understood how you felt. If he had the chance to meet with an old friend, he would take it.

"I'll come with you then." He said with eagerness.

"What?" You yelped. "No way, Kazuha. It's far more dangerous for you because you're an actual wanted man."

"When has that stopped me?" He smiled.

"Besides, I can sense danger and you know how to get away from it. If anything, we're the perfect pair." Kazuha reasoned, making you sigh in disbelief.

"I— Okay, fine. I mean, I do enjoy your company." You decided, steering away from the conversation.

"Oh please, you love my company!" He yells, making you sneer in a joking manner.

🍁

You thought traveling from one island to another would be more difficult. After all, you don't leave Narukami Island much.

But Kazuha was experienced — seeing as he crossed from Narukami Island, all the way to Watatsumi Island. He truly was a wanderer, you thought.

And you were grateful you brought him along.

In less than a day, you made it into the city of Inazuma. Albeit night had already prepared to fall upon the sky, you still made it.

You navigated through the streets, trying to find the familiar home of the Nagonoharas. Occasionally, you found yourself pulling Kazuha into a small corner, some soldiers passing by. Your breath hitched whenever they did, but you fall even more nervous when you look into the eyes of the man you were pressing against.

Quickly, you jumped to get off him, apologizing for your sudden actions. Kazuha finds it amusing that you still manage to feel bashful at the most serious of times. Or that you still jump back at the slightest bit of contact, when you've locked lips before.

Despite all of this, you finally locate the famous home of your old friend. To your luck, Yoimiya was right outside. She was organizing her fireworks and sparklers, humming as she worked.

"Yoimiya!" You whisper-shouted.

The pyro technician turned on her heel, her eyes widening in surprise. A big smile formed on her lips as she ran to hug you.

"You're alive! Oh my god, you're alive! And you have a wanted man with you! ...Oh my god?" She exclaimed, shaking you to check if you were real.

"Yes, I'm alive...! Yoimiya, you're gonna make me throw up." You complained, making the girl halt.

"Sorry! I just... can't believe you're alive!"

"You actually thought I'd die?"

"I mean... Can you blame me?"

"I guess not." You grinned, hugging the girl once more. It felt so nice to finally see a face you haven't seen in a while. As for Yoimiya, it was a marvel to see you actually be happy. It made her feel happy in turn.

"We have got to talk about everything you've been up to! I mean, if you have the time of course." Yoimiya chirped, settling down on her table.

"We don't have time right now... But I promise I will take time off work so I can visit you."

"Work? Where do you— Oh! Do you work for Beidou?" She asks, making you nod.

"Oh right, then you must have heard about Yui? She actually left a letter at my doorstep before disappearing. It was addressed to you but the Crux hasn't come by in a while." Yoimiya informed, standing up from her position.

"You're an actual mind reader, Yoimiya." You say.

"I know! But, here. I haven't read it because it's personal. I think you might find some clues in there, though."

In appreciation, you leaped to hug the girl. She was thrilled to see such a warm and expressive Y/N. Much different from the one she discovered almost a year ago.

"Hurry up and go before anyone sees you and Kaedehara!" She giggles. "Ah. Please, just call me Kazuha." Kazuha interfered, making Yoimiya nod.

"Alright, we'll be off now." You say, pulling away. " I'll miss you, Yoimiya. You're a good friend."

"Pshhh!! It's no big deal! Now go!!"