40: NO LONGER BLIND

Bonds that have been carefully built are those that cannot be easily destroyed.

Despite everything you and Yui have gone through, one fact remains the same; You are family. That will not change despite the circumstances brought upon you.

Yui saw how your eyes were no longer the same. They were no longer the tired and hopeless ones that she grew used to. Your lips weren't curled into a permanent frown, rather they curled up into a smile.

She listened to your stories, listening carefully as she examined you further. You told the girl of your escapades, your new friends, and your griefs. You expressed your guilt and how it affected your way of thinking.

Yui felt conflicted.

Truth be told, she felt lost when you first left. Hurt, but mostly lost. She had grown so used to having you around that losing you felt like losing a part of herself. With you, she felt free. She felt as though she truly had a family.

She was glad you didn't forget about her. But that meant she still restrained you. She didn't want that.

"Okay, so far I've talked about— How I got to Liyue, the Crux, things in Liyue, and how I nearly died to a mediocre yet lucky Treasure Hoarder." You say, counting with your fingers.

"Y/N, why did you let me restrain you?" Yui asks suddenly, her voice small. She looked down at her hands, fidgeting with them.

Though she's changed and matured, Yui was still a child. She's not even an adult yet. You looked into her eyes, a glint of sadness washing over them. She's still so young despite her courageous nature.

"You're my sister. I can't just let you go because I want to start over." You say as you place an arm on her shoulder. "I'd rather feel the guilt than to forget you."

"Besides," You smile, feeling a tugging in your heart. "I had somebody to help me get through my guilt. Whatever challenges I went through in Liyue, he was always there by my side."

Yui raised an eyebrow, finally lifting her head.

"You haven't told that story yet. Who is this man?"

You sighed, laying your head on Yui's lap. A small sigh formed on your lips as you recall your memories.

"You know Kaedehara Kazuha, right? I'm sure you do, seeing as your family works for the Tenryou Commission." You start, earning a nod from Yui.

"That's him," With those words, you started to paint an image in your head. "We met because... Well because I tried to rob him..."

"What?!"

"Funny story. Anyways, he was incredibly kind from the start. Well, that and very playful. He helped me get to the Crux because he worked there too. Despite what happened, we became friends. Best friends."

Yui was not naïve. She saw how your eyes sparkled as you talked about Kazuha. She's read too many books and watched too many plays to not see the signs.

"He saved me the day I almost died, and accompanied me throughout my whole recovery. Not only that, but he was always there to lend me a hand — or to listen to my stupid problems. He's funny and loyal to the bone. Without him, I don't know if I'd even be who I am now. The happy, much more friendly me."

"So, you like him?" Yui questions.

You had to pause for a moment, laughing at the fact she caught on so quickly.

"Is it that obvious?" You decided to be honest.

"Yes. Just now when you were talking about him, your dead eyes lit up. It's painfully clear you like him."

"I guess so..."

You held your hand up, staring at the spot Kazuha kissed. These past few months have been your happiest because of him. To say you were indebted to him would be an understatement.

"Enough about him, though. What about you? What happened to you while I was away?"

🍁

"Yoimiya, please. I need to talk to them. I... we didn't even say goodbye." Yui begged the pyro technician. Yoimiya only gave the girl a sympathetic look.

"I'm sorry, Yui. I can't do anything for you." Yoimiya apologized, putting a hand on her shoulder. "But if anything, I can offer you my advice. Y/N wouldn't want you to follow them to Liyue. They'd want you to be happy here. Whatever happiness means to you."

Yui had just gotten the news of your departure.

The girl felt numb as she walked through the waters of Amakane Island. The place you first met.

Usually, nostalgia would hit Yui. But now, it was grief.

She grieved your life as if you already left the world. Then again, she had no clue whether or not you had survived your journey. The ocean and its storms do not discriminate. It will take whoever and whenever they want.

Yui settled in the sand, letting herself soak in the sun. She sat there, motionless. She was deep in contemplation. Yui felt like a lost duck and now she needed to find her way back. She needed to figure out what her next move was.

Happiness? What is happiness?

It's something all humans and most creatures crave. Something that could vary from person to person. To Yui, happiness was being with you. She was happiest when she felt free — When she did things or was with people that didn't suffocate her.

Now that you were gone, what was she to do?
It took her hours to realize what she wanted.

She hated her family's devout loyalty to the Tenryou Commission, despite the corruption. She hated how confining life was in her home. How she was expected to be a submissive and modest heiress when she wanted to be a fighter.

If she were to rebel, wander the land as she so pleases, would it bring her happiness? The thought alone certainly sounded pleasurable.

And so she did.

🍁

i was supposed to take a hiatus and post this next, next week because i was upset over not geting kazuha... but then the new event came in.

your author will be posting ch. 41 soon and will disappear for a while. im still upset despite me being giggly ... but i'll be kind because kazuha gave us a little treat 🙏🙏🙏

(i genuinely almost fainted when THAT part in the archipelago quest happened...)

also, YUI ART MADE BY @noneoneroyuo !!
super duper cute i love it sm <3

also, YUI ART MADE BY @noneoneroyuo !! super duper cute i love it sm <3