47: EYE OF THE STORM

You and Kazuha ran to a secluded area — one away from the village. It was a quiet and scenic place, one you can enjoy with the man you loved.

The sun was up and shining brightly as ever, yet the air was cold. It was still early in the morning, many troops still starting their training.

You choose a dry spot to sit down on, Kazuha following shortly after.

"It's so nice to finally rest with you beside me." You say, stretching your arms. "What were you doing while I was away?" You ask.

"Hm... Well, the Shogunate ambushed us once during those two weeks. I actually got injured, look." You faced the man. Kazuha removed his scarf, showing a nasty bruise on his collarbone.

"I got hit by the hilt of a Samurai's sword."

You placed your finger on it, earning a wince from Kazuha. You pout as you examine the bruise. It was rather large in size. To your surprise, Kazuha is red all over. From his cheeks to the tips of his ears. He looked away from you, making you snicker.

"Do you want a kiss to make it feel better?" You asked. Your tone is playful which makes it harder for the blonde.

"Shut up." He mutters.

Your eyes widen with a grin. It's not every day you hear Kazuha say such words, especially to you. Your fingers eventually retracted, no longer wanting to tease.

"Ehem...Um, what about you?" He reverts the topic.

"I helped around in the village, mostly. Sometimes I fought off some Nobushi or did patrols. I got to catch up with Yui as well."

"What did you two talk about? If you don't mind me asking."

"How our lives have been when we were apart. That kid's a wild card, I tell you. She also gave me information regarding my parents."

Kazuha's curiosity peaked.

"What did she say?"

Kazuha saw as you sighed, though you weren't upset. He recognized the look in your eyes. Once upon a time, he felt like that too. Somehow, he already knew your answer.

"They never abandoned me, is all," You start. "Regardless, I can never get them back. But, it's okay. At least now I know that they did love me and they never meant to leave." You explain.

"That alone is enough. I can finally let them go knowing they loved me."

The blonde knows what you mean.
He's told you the story once.

His mother died shortly after he was born, leaving his father alone to raise him. He was raised without her in his life — which for a while he did not mind. When you're young, complex emotions aren't so apparent.

As he grew older, the longing for his mother grew and grew. He'd ignore it most of the time. Kazuha already had a great father who cares for him deeply.

That's why losing him brought great sorrow.

He knew one day it would eventually happen. Though he wished it did at a time when things weren't so chaotic. First his father, then his home, and then his clan.

Kazuha had lost everything.

But even if he did, he knew his parents did everything to make sure he'd live a good life. Though his future was never secured, they did what they could to prevent calamity. His mother carried him for nine months and took care of him before he was even born. His father raised him to be the man he was today.

They loved him dearly.

Kazuha knew that. And that alone was enough to keep him hopeful to live. That's why now he doesn't have his resentments.

It made him smile to see your reaction to his story, though. Tears in your eyes as you tell him how strong he's been. To him, these were tales of a much sensitive version of himself. Now that he's matured, he can laugh and smile about it. But, he was still glad to have you there to listen and sympathize.

He never let anyone know what truly happened. He feared that the story would be too much for someone else to handle. He doesn't want to burden anyone. Yet you were there, and you wanted to know more. To see all of him.

Now, to see you be in this stage of your life — one of acceptance and maturity felt lovely. He felt an overwhelming joy fill him.

"I'm proud of you." He says, his hands reaching for your head. Kazuha caresses it gently. You smile shyly, giving him a small thank you.

Your eyes looked so much brighter now. It wasn't tired nor did it hold any pain buried deep within. It was just... alive. You felt more alive than ever.

He felt more alive than ever seeing you like this — less tense and less burdened. He reached his conclusion.

Your sadness was now his sadness.
Your happiness was now his happiness.

"I love you."

Kazuha couldn't help himself.

The words left his mouth quick. He didn't think to stop himself this time. Your head snapped to face him, eyes wide open. Your eyebrows curled and your lips parted. You were shocked.

"I love you, and I have every intention to stay by your side. Through whatever obstacle, in whatever world, and in whatever timeline. I'm in love with you, Y/N."

You never expected a confession so early in the morning. His words sung in your ears. The beating of your heart was rapid.

You didn't realize how much you wanted to hear him say it.

Your silence snapped him back to reality. "Ah... I'm sorry if it was too sudden. I just—"

Kazuha's words were cut short as you pressed your lips against his. A soft and delicate, yet passionate kiss.

You loved him as much as he did you — but words were not your forte. Yet, you'd do anything to make sure he knew you felt the same way.

Your hands clutched his face eagerly, and you felt him smile. He clutched your shirt, pulling you closer. You moved in sync, molding into each other's touch.

You liked this feeling.

Eventually, you pulled away in hopes to fill your lungs with air. Your lips were red from the intensity and heat. But the tingling sensation never left, making you touch them in awe.

Kazuha's eyes gazed over you, feeling a tugging in his chest. He was so in love with you.

He took the hand you used to touch your lips and intertwined them with his.

"I love you." He repeats.

In your life of storms, you wondered how he managed to get in. How did Kazuha of all people find a way to love you? Beneath the rain and thunder, how did he see the blue sky?

Well, the answer is clear.

Your storms will never end, just as problems will always come and go. But in the chaos, there will always be an eye of the storm.

Kazuha is your eye of the storm.

A moment of clarity and peace, even if it's just for a moment. And those few seconds, minutes, and hours are things you will engrave into your memory. These moments will be things you'll carry with you into every single life.

That's how much you love him.

"I love you, too."

🍁

this is not the end!! a few more chapters to go.
jeez, i kinda wanna end it here tho <//3

omg, they finally send the three words!! was tempted to make it dirtier for the freaky side of my readers, but I refuse. I refuse to give you that pleasure ☺️ #edging

also the i love yous were supposed to be said by the end of the book but i decided to give it earlier on. but that also mean i messed up the timeline and i am now allowed to change the ending... smirks

jk