18

MILLIES POV:

"Thank you for having me stay, Ruby," Mione said to Mum, as the two of us climbed on board the gleaming scarlet steam engine named the Hogwarts Express, closed the door and leant out of the window to talk her. "I loved it!"

"Oh, it was a pleasure, babe," Mum responded, leaning forward and kissing us both on the head. "I'd invite you for Christmas, but...well, I expect you're all going to want to stay at Hogwarts, what with...one thing and another..."

"Mum!" I said pleadingly, leaning my head even further out the window. "What d'you and Dad know that we don't?"

"You'll probably find out this evening," she answered, smiling. "It's going to be very exciting - mind you, they changed the rules - bit boring, if you ask your dad and I-"

"What rules?" asked Mione, tapping eagerly on the railing.

"I'm sure Dumbledore will tell you...now, behave, won't you? Won't you, Millie?"

The pistons hissed loudly, and the train began to move.

"Tell us what's happening at Hogwarts!" I bellowed out of the window, as Mum sped away from us. I could vaguely make out her blurred figure greeted a few red-headed people, and it didn't take many brain-cells to figure out who they were - and then they were gone, the train speeding round the corner.

"Ugh," I groaned, quickly ducking my head back inside as thick rain began splattering down outside.

"Let's find a compartment quickly," said Mione, grabbing my hand and beginning to pull me down the busy corridor, "we'll see if we can find anyone on the way..."

"Bagman wanted to tell us what's happening at Hogwarts," I said, still trying to work out what Mum and Dad were speaking about. "At the World Cup, remember? But my own mother won't say. Wonder what-"

"HERMIONE! MILLIE!"

We immediately both stopped pushing through the crowd at the familiar voice, and span round to see Lyra's rosy face amidst the people. My own face instantly lit up with joy, and Mione and I began pushing back through the crowd towards her, tackling each other into a three way hug.

"Anddddd the trio's back together," Lyra breathed in satisfaction, kissing both our heads before pulling away. "Merlin, you two look even prettier than when I last saw you."

"Thanks, Nan," I said amusingly, my body feeling light with joy.

"Speaking of 'last time you saw us', we were worried, Ly!" Mione exclaimed, giving the girl a gentle slap on her arm. "You didn't respond to our owls after the World Cup! We didn't know what had happened!"

"Yeah, I'm really sorry about that," she said guiltily, shooting someone to the left of her a cold glare - it was only when I realised it was her younger brother, Charlie, that I understood why she was doing this. They didn't get on at all, which should be interesting these coming months, considering he was starting his first-year at Hogwarts. "Charlie, wanna explain to my best friends why I couldn't answer their owls?"

"Not really," he grunted, showing no sign of recognition as he stared up the corridor.

"Fine, I will." She pulled a face at the back of his head, then turned back to Mione and I, who couldn't help but laugh silently. "Charlie decided to steal the family owl for the entire last week of summer for a start of school project."

"Start of school project?" Mione repeated, looking at Charlie, who didn't look at her. "We never had a start of school project?"

"No-one has start of school projects," said Lyra angrily, shaking her head. "Charlie made it up just so I couldn't send any letters."