35

MILLIE'S POV:

And that was how I found myself sitting opposite the sixth-year Hufflepuff in the library a week later. I'd found once I'd started talking, I couldn't stop; I must have been ranting for at least fifteen minutes straight, without pause, about how much I was despising dealing with these in-between feelings, and how it so very pissed me off having my current relationship being interfered by my old one. Cedric listened the entire time, elbows rested on the table between us, as though this was a highly important meeting - which I supposed it was.

"...and sometimes, when he does that stupid smile of his, I just think about how it'd be a lot easier if he just didn't exist, or if it's some sort of magic, because I can't stop staring at him."

I finished with a deep breath, shuffling my chair even closer to the table so that my stomach was now touching the wood, staring at Cedric expectantly.

"So..." he began thoughtfully, watching me with raised eyebrows, "you hate Harry, basically."

"I don't hate him," I said, my expectant look immediately dropping to a frown. Cedric's eyebrows raised further.

"Really? Because that's what it sounds like."

I paused, soft sounds of rummaging book pages and quiet chatter blessing my ears. "Maybe I do then."

But, to my slight confusion, Cedric shook his head, sending me a smile as he leant back in his chair comfortably. "Nah, you don't."

"What? You just said-"

"You don't hate him," Cedric pressed, his voice gentle, with a small tinge of curiosity, "he just makes you feel things you dread to feel. You're not being truthful with yourself - I've told you before, you're very stubborn, you don't wanna admit you still like him..."

He spoke his last words in a sing-song tone, snorting as I mumbled stubbornly, "I do not still like him..."

"Not what it sounds like," he hummed brightly, in the same annoying voice, causing me to remind myself that I had made him promise to be fully truthful with me. Despite this, I shook my head, and Cedric groaned, straightening up again with a new seriousness about him. "Why're you asking me for help then, Millie? Why're you so troubled? Are you worried about that ginger kid ruining your relationship? What's his name, Roger? Fred and George's brother?" I fought the urge to laugh as I again, shook my head. "Didn't think so. You're worried about Harry. 'Cos you still like him."

"Okay, and what if I did?" I asked, excusing my question with the mental excuse that this was hypothetical, and purely a caution for the future, not now. "What then?"

"If you both feel the same way, the only other thing you need is timing," Cedric said simply, leaning back into his chair again. "But timing's a bitch, so," he added as a side-note, wrinkling his rosy nose.

"So..." I began again, making a mental note to apologise for being annoying afterwards, despite the way Cedric sent me an encouraging smile every time I began talking again. Must be the Hufflepuff in him. "...you're saying I should just wait and see what happens? Not talk to him?"

Again, Cedric sent me another smile, though this one was different - I was slightly embarrassed to find it one of pity.

"Do something for me - describe Harry."

"Describe Harry?" I repeated, raising my eyebrows as though he was joking. He was not.

"Yep, go on..." he pressed, with a small smile.

"I dunno..." I said, shrugging. "We're friends...best friends..."

Cedric snorted twice, once at my answer, and once as I narrowed my eyes at him.