20

MILLIE'S POV

"I don't get why you can't just show me what it says," Harry whined for the eighth time, making me squeeze my fists impatiently and spin round in my seat to face him. I'd already swung one of my legs over the bench so that I was fully facing the front, a rough attempt to block out the boy-behind-me's annoying, non-stop mouth.

"I've told you," I hissed angrily, the tips of my fingers beginning to tingle, "it's not important - this might come as a shock to you, but I don't tell you every single detail of my life!"

Harry stared at me, his eyebrows raised in a childish manner. "What you just said actually really hurts me."

I stuck my tongue out at him and turned back to face the front, guilt running through me. My fingers kept unconsciously brushing against the note in my pocket, and as I watched the Headmaster make his start-of-term speech at the front, I remembered our conversation at the end of last year...

"...because next year, you will be having private lessons with me so I can help you control it."

My mouth dropped open. "Really? Do I have to pay? Do Mum and Dad know-?"

"Of course you don't have to pay, and your parents do not know, no," he said quickly, raising his hand as my lips parted wordlessly. "And - if it's okay with you - I would like to keep it that way..."

I furrowed my eyebrows at the Headmaster. "So I'm allowed to tell Mione, Harry and Ron, but not-"

"Ah," said Dumbledore, looking hesitant. "That's where the difficulty comes in. They know that you possess a power, but I'm afraid that's all I would like them to know."

Silence.

"What?" I breathed, leaning forward in my chair. "So I'm supposed to lie to them about where I'm going?"

"These lessons will be kept in private not only for your protection, but for the people around you, as well."

His last words were enough for me to close my mouth; I was not about to put anyone I cared for in danger.

"One day, you'll not only understand about all this, but you'll be grateful it happened, too," said Dumbledore quietly, after a short pause. "Do I have your word, Millie?"

Our eyes locked, and for a second I felt as though I just wanted to shout at him for talking so vaguely; I wanted to know why I had these powers, and what caused them, before agreeing to any lessons. But something about the man's warm face made me trust that whatever was going to happen, would be for the best.

"My word..."

So, despite my deep, deep temptation to turn back around and recite the entire conversation between myself and Dumbledore to Harry, I decided to put my trust in Dumbledore instead. Thankfully, Harry was the only one that had noticed the note, which meant he was the only one that had any sort of suspicion...

so far...

I sighed quietly to myself, fiddling with the end of my skirt and biting my lip - I knew I wouldn't like it if any of my friends were keeping secrets from me, but I guessed this situation was bigger than childish worries like that. We were growing up now, and things were getting more serious. Like Dumbledore had said, it was apparently for all our protection, and therefore I just hoped I wouldn't be the only one 'grateful' in the end.

"...it is also my painful duty to inform you that the inter-house Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

"WHAT?" I gasped, all thoughts of Dumbledore's note vanishing from my mind instantly. I looked round at harry, my facial expression one of shock; he could only stare back at me, apparently too appalled to speak.