51

MILLIE'S POV:

Breakfast was a very noisy affair at the Gryffindor table on the morning of the third task. Everyone seemed equally excited for the Triwizard Tournament finale, including myself; I wasn't half as worried about Harry as I had been for the other tasks, knowing out of all of them his own life experiences would have prepared him sufficiently for this one - I would perhaps even go as far as to say he had a chance of winning it.

And that was why I sat eating my toast that morning with a satisfied smile on my face, chatting and laughing away with everyone around me.

I had almost finished my second pile of pancakes when I felt a familiar hand on my shoulder, and Mione began wiggling her eyebrows knowingly in a way that meant it could only be one person.

"Mills, come with me," Harry whispered in my ear, trailing his thumb carefully across my skin. Nearly choking on my orange juice, I swivelled round on the bench and glared up at him, my arms crossed and my expression serious.

"Really, Potter? You've got the third task today, for Merlin's sake, get your head in the game - oh hello, Professor."

"Good morning, Millie," Professor Mcgonagall greeted, a faint hint of amusement in her voice as Harry stood beside her grinning like an idiot. "If you'd like to follow me please..."

"What, why?" I asked, looking up at them both with wide eyes. "I went to all four of Snape's detentions last week, I promise!"

"All four-? We will be discussing that another time, Miss Donovan," she said firmly, whilst I groaned upon being back to last-name basis, "but not today - the champions are congregating in the chamber off the hall right now."

I stared at her. "Professor, you know I'm not a Triwizard champion, right?" I said slowly, half-jokingly, half-serious. "Cedric's the other Hogwarts Champion."

"Nah, he dropped out last minute so I volunteered you, Mills!" Harry announced happily, sending me another grin. My eyes narrowed, scrunching my hands into fists on the table.

"You did wha-?!"

"No-one has dropped out, and no-one has volunteered anyone," Professor Mcgonagall intervened firmly, saving me from getting up and strangling the laughing boy. "Millie, please follow us now, no arguing."

So, muttering incoherently underneath my breath, I grudgingly left my delicious waffles at the table and followed Harry and Professor Mcgonagall out of the hall.

"Please tell us where we're going, Minnie!" I whined, allowing Harry to drape his arm around my shoulder. "I'm not about to be thrown into another lake, am I?"

"The champions' families are invited to watch the final task," she answered, her lips twitching, "this is simply a chance for them to greet them."

At this, I gaped at her, then at Harry, who simply shrugged in a causal manner.

"I've already told her the Dursley's won't turn up," he said, eyeing the Professor with a raised eyebrow.

"Really?" I said, in mock-surprise. "I would've thought Vernon would be zooming here on his broomstick by now!"

"No, that's Dudley," Harry played along, with an amused smirk, "my uncle's getting the Knight Bus, and my aunt thought it would be easiest to jump on the Hogwarts Express-"

"I would've thought you'd be taking today a little more seriously, Potter," Professor McGonagall scolded, peering over her shoulder through narrowed eyes. "I trust you've used my classroom to prepare for the task efficiently."