32

MILLIE'S POV:

Double Potions was always a horrible experience, but this particular day was nothing short of torture. I had been in Dumbledore's office working on my power until nearly three o'clock in the morning the night before, and had only stopped because Dumbledore had been afraid I would overwork my magic. I was struggling to keep my eyes open as Mione and I arrived outside Snape's dungeon after lunch, slumping my head down against her shoulder whilst fighting to remain in a conscious state.

"Millie," Mione started firmly, and I knew she was about to begin the rant she had been repeating over the last few days again. "These night time meetings aren't doing you very good, at all. I couldn't care less about Tarek and his wanting to keep things private. It's affecting you negatively now, and I'm worried about you!"

But I didn't even have time to think of an answer as Tarek appeared in front of us, wearing a smile.

"Hello, babe," he greeted, making me cringe internally, straightening up and trying my absolute best to avoid Mione's eyes.

"Glad to see you've got rid of the badge," I said, gesturing at the lack of the stupid 'POTTER STINKS' badge on his empty school shirt. I ignored the disapproving scoff from Mione.

"Only for you," he said, shrugging as he patted his chest. "Come on, let's get to the front-"

"I'm not glad you've got rid of the badge, Jackson!"

Easily one of the most annoying voices in the school suddenly invaded my ears, and I looked past Tarek as he turned around; Pansy Parkinson was stood near the door of the classroom with her gang of Slytherin girls, each of them wearing the large badges on the front of their robes. Dumbledore had said where we had been overusing my power so much, it was at a breaking point, which therefore meant that my temper was at its highest it had ever been, so I had to be especially careful not to lose control of my anger.

"Oh - well - er... Millie doesn't really like them, so..." Tarek shrugged, and I could feel the heat begin to rise in my face and neck as the small group of Slytherin's howled with laughter. I had to remain calm...deep breaths...eyes on the floor...this was vital...

"Oh, you're so funny!" Mione spoke up, pushing past Tarek and glaring at them. "Really bloody witty-!"

"Want one, Granger?" Parkinson asked, holding out a badge to her. "Draco gave me loads! Oh, but don't touch my hand, now. I've just washed it, you see, I don't want a Mudblood sliming it up."

My eyes flashed as my head flicked up, some of the anger that had been building for days and days over the course of my lessons seeming to burst through a dam in my chest. I had reached for my wand before I'd knew what I was doing, welcoming the immediate tingling in my fingers with open arms - I was too tired to even think about controlling it. The busying crowd making their way to their lessons had scrambled out of the way as I stepped forward, backing down the corridor.

"Millie!" Mione shouted warningly, and I knew she still remembered about my power.

"Go on, then, Donovan," Parkinson was saying quietly, drawing out her own wand. "Potter's not here to look after you now - do it, if you've got the guts-"

For a split second, we glared into each other's eyes, then, I shut my mine and allowed the familiar sensation to flood me, just as she yelled, "Densaugeo!"

The scene to which I reopened my eyes made guilt overtake me even quicker than my anger had; Parkinson was now bellowing horribly with her hands to her nose, where great ugly boils were springing up - and then there was her spell, which had apparently been 'mysteriously' diverted mid-air to hit Mione by accident, who was whimpering in panic, clutching her mouth.