23

MILLIE'S POV

"So you're telling me girls actually play Quidditch here?"

This was Tarek and I's current topic of conversation whilst getting to know each other more over the last few days, finding the more and more I got to know the boy, the more and more I found I enjoyed being around him. However, our conversation as of now had left me in a deep state of disgust; in Romania, where Tarek was from, girls didn't play Quidditch, and this was an extreme shock for me as I shook my head repeatedly. Tarek and I were making our way to the first Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson this year, meaning the first lesson with Mad-Eye Moody as our teacher, and also Tarek's first every Dark Arts lesson at Hogwarts. I didn't know how to feel, because I had absolutely no idea what to expect - all I knew was that if he turned me into a ferret, I would genuinely throw myself off the Astronomy Tower out of embarrassment.

"Yes!" I told him, scoffing and waving my hands in exasperation as we walked. "I can't believe they aren't allowed to in Romania!"

"They're allowed too, they just don't," he corrected me, watching my fit of annoyance in amusement. "It's seen as more of a male sport, I think."

"That's crazy," I breathed in disbelief, shaking my head once more. "I don't know what I'd do without playing Quidditch! It's gonna be hard enough this year without the Quidditch Cup!"

"Ah, but it'll be worth it," said Tarek, smiling as he tapped his nose in secrecy. I glanced at him side-ways, a curious smile over-taking my own face - I'd worked out myself Tarek's Dad's work was for the Triwizard Tournament, and that's why they'd come over to England for the school year, I just didn't know what area of it he was involved in. "What position do you play?" Tarek asked, slipping his hands in his pockets as we turned a corner.

I looked at him again, my teasing smile increasing. "Guess."

He grinned. "Hmmmm..." he lifted one hand to his chin, pretending to stroke it thoughtfully. "Seeker?"

"No, that's Harry," I said, before snorting. "Surely he's told you that."

"Oh, yeah! Only like, fifty times so far," he chuckled, nudging his shoulder with mine, causing a small pit of butterflies to form in my stomach. "So...Keeper?"

'Keeper!" I exclaimed, laughing myself as I shook my head. "No, I'm a Chaser."

"Chaser?" he repeated, jogging slightly to catch up with me as I increased my speed, not wanting to be late to Moody's first lesson. "You?"

I furrowed my eyebrows questioningly. "You sound surprised, Jackson."

"No!" Tarek corrected himself, smiling timidly, "it's just - I can't wrap my head around girls being on Quidditch teams over here. And Chaser!" He let out an impressed sigh as we exchanged a smile. "That's a hard position! You must be good..."

I shrugged, scrunching my nose to seem unbothered, after sending him a wink. "Where do you play?" I asked in excitement, patting his arm.

"I don't," he responded casually, as we turned into the Defence Against the Dark Arts corridor, making my stomach drop slightly in disappointment - though I didn't show it, managing to keep my enthusiastic smile uplifted on my face. "I prefer being on the sidelines, it's too athletic for me..."

"Oh, right," I replied, removing my hand from his arm and biting my lip - he didn't play Quidditch? It's too athletic for him! Maybe I was being dramatic...