22

MILLIES POV

The future.

It seemed to follow me for the next couple of days, constantly lingering in the back of my mind, taking over me whenever I got a spare minute to daydream. I found the more and more time I spent wondering about it, the more and more curious I became; see, I liked to be in control, and this was one of the very few things, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't be. It was completely unknown to everyone - the smallest occurrence could change everything and anything - and that's what worried me. Who knows what would happen in the next few years...even the next few minutes...the next few seconds-

"...MILLIE!"

"Huh?"

I glanced to my left to meet both Mione and Lyra's eyes, both of them staring at me in slight concern. Lyra was waving her hands in my face whilst shouting my name, earning herself a small laugh from me, as I lightly pushed her away.

"You've got divination, Millie," said Mione, giggling and gesturing to the first step of the tightly spiralling staircase that led all the way to the room where Professor Trelawney lived.

"Oh shit, yeah," I muttered in realisation, quickly grabbing one of the two girls' hands each and giving them a gentle squeeze, before beginning the short climb, calling behind me, "See you later!'

The familiar sweet perfume emanating from the fire met my nostrils as I emerged at the top of the silver stepladder, and through the circular trapdoor. As ever, the curtains were all closed; the circular room was bathed in a dim reddish light cast by the many lamps, which were all draped with scarves and shawls. The entire class seemed to already be there, although a few people were still unpacking there bags and taking there seats.

"Good day," said the misty voice of Professor Trelawney right behind me, making me sigh to myself miserably. Already mentally cursing myself for not giving it up last year like Mione, I turned around, forcing the corners of my mouth into a polite smile.

"Sorry I'm late, Professor, I-"

"You are preoccupied, my dear," she interrupted mournfully to me, and I shut my mouth again, trying with all my mite not to roll my eyes. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Harry, Ron, Seamus and Dean sat at a table on the far side of the room, all four of them grinning in amusement in my direction, Harry in the centre, his hand over his mouth to cover his enthusiastic whispers. Keeping my eyes locked with Trelawneys, I discreetly slipped my hand behind my back and stuck my middle finger up at them. "My Inner Eye sees past your brave face to the troubled soul within," the Professor continued obliviously, her voice having dropped almost to a whisper, "and I regret to say that your worries are not baseless. I see difficult times ahead for you, alas...yes...most difficult..."

"Oh, brilliant," I said sarcastically, crossing my arms. Professor Trelawney swept past me as though nothing had been said, seating herself in a large winged armchair before the fire, facing the class. I turned as she went, spotting Lavender and Parvati, who were sitting on pouffes very close to her. Deciding I would rather not have to listen to their awe-struck comments about our teacher for the entire double-lesson, I made my way over to Harry's table, slinging my bag down under my chair and dropping down into the seat beside Ron.

"What did she say to you?" he asked instantly, nudging my elbow with his.

"Let me guess, something negative?" said Dean, leaning back on his chair and snorting as I nodded. "Voice of doom, she is..."

"I know," I muttered, already glaring at Harry as he childishly flicked a bit of ink on my hand. "Surprised she hasn't said anything to you yet, either." I nodded at the raven-haired boy, who grinned.