Seventeen | Memories

"Are you guys hiring?" I ask the guy standing at the front desk. I figured it was about time for me to find a job so I could help nonna out a little more. So here I was, standing in Forever 21 at the mall. They guy who's name tag said Chris was looking at his computer, never making eye contact.

"Yep. There are applications right over there." He points to a stack of papers. "Fill one out and give it to me when you're finished."

"How long will it take to hear something?" I ask.

He shrugs. "Maybe a week. I don't know."

His lack of interest was starting to irritate me. "Are you sure? Because I really need this job."

He finally looks up and immediately frowns. I thought maybe I had something on my face. "Why do you look so familiar?" He studies me harder, making me a little uncomfortable.

"Uh --"

"You're Justin Bieber's girlfriend!" He squeals.

I keep forgetting that that was such a big deal to everyone. "Yeah I am." I sigh. "But like I said. How long will it take--"

"You're hired." He flashes me a Colgate smile.

"R-really?"

"Hell yes. Do you know how many more customers we'll get just by you working here?"

I smile but only for a split second. "No,no. I wanna get hired just like the next person who's looking to work here. I don't wanna get favored because Justin's my boyfriend."

Chris flicks his hand. "Well I'm the hiring manager and I say that you're hired. Your training will start next week."

"Don't I have to fill out paperwork?" I ask.

"Of course. That'll only take twenty minutes." He nods.

"Are you sure you're allowed to do this?"

"Are you questioning the position I'm offering you? Y'know it doesn't always come this easy." He says clearly getting annoyed.

"No, no of course not. I want the job. I need the job." I say quickly.

Chris grins. "Great, because you've got it."

--

"So how'd it go?" Justin asks when I slide in my car.

"I'm hired." I breath.

"Already? That's great. Why do you seem so upset?" He frowns.

"I'm not." I say truthfully. "You're the reason why I'm hired and I haven't been in there for twenty minutes."

"Me?"

"The manager figured out you were my boyfriend and hired me on the spot." I say starting the car up. "He says it'll be good for business if I worked there."

"Sounds a little like he's using you." He says.

"I know right?"

"You don't have to take the job if you don't want to."

"The thing is, I do." I chuckle. "I need it and like he said, it doesn't always come that easy."

"Touche."

"So where are we going now?" I asked.

"Let's stop by the hotel. I asked Kenny to take us somewhere today."

Without asking any questions I speed down the road and within thirty minutes we were there. The minute Justin and I leave the car, bright lights are blinding us. I almost forgot what he had to undergo on an everyday basis. I use my hand to block the bright flashing as Justin took my other one in his and guided us to the back where the familiar SUV was waiting us.