x Ring x

I woke up in the middle of the night and found myself sleeping next to Shahzaib. His hand was resting on my waist. He was deep asleep. Even in the darkness, I could see him clearly. Up close, he seemed like a different person. He had an almost childlike innocence. His breath matched mine as his chest rose and fell in sync with mine. I didn't trust many people in my life, but when he told me I could trust him, I actually felt like believing him. I was hallucinating, living a dream-like reality that was going to finish. I had to keep reminding myself this was only temporary. How could I offer him friendship when I wasn't even capable of maintaining any relationship in my life? I gently lifted his hand, moved it away from me, got up from his bed, and quietly returned to my room.

I woke up to a text from Shahzaib the following day telling me to meet him at the restaurant in the hotel for breakfast. I got ready and went to meet him. He noticed me coming and slightly smiled. I went to sit across from him, but his smile dissolved quickly after he checked something on his phone.

'Is everything okay?' I inquired.

'We will have to go to my house tonight,' He announced, looking worried.

'What is it? Anything I should know?' I asked, and before answering, he handed me a mini muffin.

'You are really trying to change my habits' I took it from him.

'Some habits are good,' He responded, pleased that I didn't argue with him this time.

'You left last night,' He acknowledged. I didn't expect him to ask me this question the way he did. He studied me intently as I tried to figure out a believable reason to give him.

'Ma called, so I went to my room to talk to her,' I replied calmly to make it sound convincing. I am not sure if he believed me entirely because his lips curved in a smile when I said that.

'Why are you smiling like that?' I couldn't help but ask.

'I think I look good when I smile. What do you think?' He countered, and I gave him a steady stare.

'We leave tonight. Want to give me any pointers? What clothes should I wear, who to watch out for? I thought we still had some time to prepare' I grabbed another muffin and poured myself a cup of tea.

'Just be yourself, wear whatever you want. Remember I told you I have two families. My father left my mother when I was around twelve, and he married another woman. My mother passed away just a few months before my father died...' He dropped his gaze when he got to talking about his family.

'In my family, it's just my younger brother and me...he is married and has a son, his family lives with my grandmother, so we're going to be staying with them...the other family, it's my stepmother, she lives with her son and his wife.'

'So I have to watch out from them?' I asked skeptically.

'They are not bad, but they are not saints either, don't engage too much with them. They like to inquire when they notice something odd. My marriage has always been an issue for them, so now that they know, they doubt my marriage' His eyes narrowed thoughtfully.

'I am sorry to hear about your mother,' I said shortly after he finished.

'I am fine,' He remarked casually, but his emotions said the complete opposite. If I was not the person I am today, I would have never noticed his misery. I wanted to say more, but I couldn't dare.

'So I have to watch out from your stepfamily?' Got it. I made a self note to only speak to them when necessary. I hope I never have to.

'You don't have to worry. I will be there,' He said in a protecting tone.

'I know,' I replied with a nod but still hesitant.

'So if we are starting out early, we might finish this before the month ends right?' I asked him. We finally got the date for Ma's operation right after this deal ends. I wanted to go to her as soon as possible.

'I won't let you run away from me that easily' He murmured and met my eyes. I tried to relax, but my pulse began to race when I heard him.

'What do you mean?' I dropped my gaze and asked without looking at him.

'This means even if this ends in a week, you're with me until the last day of this deal.' I expected him to say more, telling me that he was joking, but he stayed firm with his statement. An awkward silence followed as I struggled to find the right words to contradict.

'You should let me go the day you get your money. I don't want to be in your way,' I stated, not understanding why he said such a thing.

'Deal is a deal; one month means one month' "He stunned me by saying. I glanced up at him with wide eyes, he added curtly, 'Besides, we are friends now, aren't we?'

I nodded, and before I could say anything further, he offered his hand from across the table for me to take. A new emotion heightened in me when I rested my hand in his.

'Here' He took out a simple gold ring from his coat's pocket and slipped it on my finger. It was slightly loose. It seemed like it was made for someone else.

'Nice touch, glad you remembered' I pulled myhand back, exhausted to make sense of my changing feelings. 'Sorry, I am notfeeling well. I think I need to rest' I excused myself and left the table. 

Assoon as I reached inside my room, I felt relief taking over the overwhelmed. Ikept looking at the ring and feeling odd, the weight of it wasn't that much,but I felt heavy inside just as he slipped the ring on me. I couldn't answerthese questions. There wasn't anything I could do to bury this bizarre poundingof the heart that increased whenever Shahzaib was near me. How was I going tofight these conflicting feelings toward him when it felt like I wasonly getting close to him with every step.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone, 

Hope you're all doing well. I am glad you're all enjoying the story so far! 

Catch you next week xx