x Favor x

'Shahzaib, you need to calm down' The executor was Shahzaib's father's lawyer, named Amjad Soliman. From their open conversation, I could tell he had been in contact with Shahzaib before this meeting. I mostly listened to them going back and forth. Shahzaib insisted on quick execution of estate distribution, and Mr.Soliman kept saying that he was trying his best, but the process may take up to six months since his father had complex investments and assets.

'You should have told me this before,' Shahzaib said in frustration while giving me a quick gaze. He was probably angry that the girl he intended to keep for a month, now he might be stuck with her for months. Well, same for me. This is not what I signed up for.

'There is no point in going back and forth,' I finally spoke when both men had nowhere to go from the dead end. I thought about everything, all consequences from all angles, but I was in a mess already. This was not something I could leave unfinished, especially when I owed him so much when he helped me when I needed quick money. How could I let him down when he didn't? So even if he was angry to be stuck with me, I guess he had no choice. I was not going to leave him.

'Can I speak to you alone for a minute?' I eyed Shahzaib, and he calmed down a little, and we walked outside to talk in private. I sat on a bench outside of the office, and he followed, looking disturbed. I looked at him while he avoided meeting my eyes.

'Let's finish it together,' I said, and he finally turned to look at me. His expression changed quickly, and now he was staring at me with surprise as if this was the last thing he was expecting from me. 

'Are you listening to yourself?' He raised his eyes at me.

'I know what I am saying, I can't leave you halfway, friends don't leave friends when they are in a mess...I don't know much about friendship, but I want to complete my promise...a deal is a deal, right?' I said in broken sentences, I wanted to be careful with my words. I didn't want to say more than what was necessary.

'I didn't know this would take so long if I did...' He started to explain himself again.

'What's done is done; forget about it. Let's go back inside and tell him we will wait.' I got up to leave when he grabbed my hand. He walked around me to face me, not letting go of my hand.

'Thank you' His eyes got teary when he said that. Did I really do him such a big favor? Why did he need this so much? Shahzaib was well off. He had good fortune then why was after his father's money so much.

'One favor' I reminded him. We agreed each person had three favor they could ask for. He asked me to stay with him at the hotel, and now it was my turn.

'You remember, right?' I reminded him, holding back my nerves when Shahzaib rubbed his thumb against my wrist. Was he doing this intentionally? I tried to ignore it, but I liked the feeling of it. It felt like a warm hug, a comforting hold.

'Right now? Or should we do this after I tell the old man we are in till we get what we want' He gave me a nod. 

'After,' I smiled, and we walked inside the office and made a settlement. Mr.Soliman looked so relieved when Shahzaib told him he was willing to wait but didn't want any more complications, and in exchange, he promised he was going to try his best to take of everything as quickly as he could.

We both took a big breath of relief after walking out of the office. I was ready to go home to think about what I was going to do next and, most importantly, how I would take care of Ma. She was my first priority, and nothing would change that or cause her any problem. I was not going to let my lie hurt her in any way.

'Ice cream?' I felt a nudge on my elbow, and I looked at Shahzaib.

'It's kind of cold today, and I thought you don't like ice cream,' I mentioned as we returned to the car.

'Then what do you want to do?' He proposed.

'I want some answers,' I stated, and he shifted his attention to me. We were still in the parking lot.

'Let's go somewhere quieter?' I suggested. He smiled and started driving.

'Is this good?' He handed me an ice cream cone and sat next to me under the tree. I looked around a park, not seeing many people around except some families far off having a picnic.

'Thanks,' I replied and started eating the ice cream. My questions for Shahzaib sounded much better in my head but saying it out seemed challenging. I didn't want to offend him, especially when we agreed I wouldn't ask what was related to me directly, but Shahzaib had so much mystery around him. I did too, but my story wasn't exciting, but his quest was something else. I was intrigued about him, to say the least. He was my husband, after all, even if temporary.

'So are you going to ask or not' He started, waiting for me to throw questions at him.

'I am thinking if I should or leave it,' I replied honestly.

'One way to find out' He shrugged, not giving much thought about it.

'It's about your personal life' I hesitated, watching him closely to see if his mood would change, but he remained unbothered.

'You can ask me anything, I trust you,' He said with confidence, and I was taken back.

'You trust me. Why? Because I agreed to stay with you.' I questioned him.

'I trust you the same way you trust me' He held my gaze and spoke.

'Why do you need this money when you are well off already? You don't believe in marriage yet you married me to have your father's fortune...there is something more isn't?' I examined him but he didn't answer me.

'Forget it, forget I said it,' I told him and looked away, scolding myself for mixing practically with emotions, I had no right to ask him about his personal business.

'I am not who you think I am, Seher' I heard him and I shifted my attention to him again, fighting the urge to say something more or leave everything unsaid. What did he mean? He lowered his head avoiding my gaze. What was he trying to hide?

'I am here. I am listening if you want to tellme' I covered my hand over his, and he finally looked up and started telling me his story. 

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for leaving on a cliffhanger lol <3