x I am here x

I slept longer than expected. I woke up in a sudden panic when I heard the doorbell ring. I rushed to open the door and found Suraiya and Zehra Aunty holding bags of food and fruit. I invited them in and cleaned the sofa with a bunch of my clothes that needed a wash. The house was a mess. Things kept piling up and going in and out of the hospital, resulting in me leaving the house unattended. I didn't find the time to clean and maintain the house. With one person gone, suddenly, the house stops functionally. I splashed my face with some cold water and put the stove on to prepare some tea.

'Thank you for this.' My body was aching, my mind was tired, and I felt so angry and sad. I returned to the living room and sat across from them. I had a lot to thank them for. They looked after Ma in my absence and were there for her when I failed to be there for her. Sometimes we have to choose between time and money; in our situation, money was needed to buy more time for Ma.

'You have to take care of yourself, so you can take off her,' Zehra Aunty spoke first, and Suraiya Aunty nodded in agreement. I knew they meant well, but it was harder to expect them to understand my situation. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't take care of myself when the most important person in my life was in the hospital and went through such a tough and painful procedure. Before taking Ma to the operation room, I had to sign a bunch of documents and understand the consequences of risks involving the surgery. There were so many things I didn't know and had to learn on the spot. Taking care of myself was last on the list of priorities.

Instead of giving them a big explanation, I also nodded in agreement.

'When will she be back?' Suraiya Aunty asked.

'In two weeks or so, the surgery went well, but the recovery takes time. She is still under a heavy dose of mediation and under care,' I explained to them and noticed a sense of relief in their eyes. They spent a lot of time together, so I knew they also worried about her.

'Once she is a bit better, I will take you to meet her,' I offered.

'She will recover soon; she is a fighter,' Zehra Aunty said, and I smiled. She was, I had never Ma getting sick, she didn't catch much seasonal flu or cold, she was strong, lifted such heavy things, and worked for hours without complaining. I always looked up to her. Seeing a person who was like made out of iron falling sick so suddenly was humbling.

'It would be nice if there was someone with you in time like this. That's why marriage is important' Suraiya Aunty couldn't help herself. Before I could say anything, Zehra Aunty spoke up and told her to stop.

'I didn't say anything wrong, Zehra. You can tell she is worried about her marriage. I introduced you to such a good man, a doctor, can you believe, and she rejected him' She glanced at me in a complaining way. That's it. It was time for them to go.

'I am getting later. I need to go to the hospital' I got up from the seat and went to the kitchen to turn off the stove before returning back to the living room to find Zehra Aunty telling Suraiya Aunty to watch her mouth and pay attention to what she was saying to me at this time.

'It's okay. I know it's coming from a good place. You all care about me, and Ma wants to see me settled. I actually have someone, and I will introduce him to her soon' I broke the news so they would stop discussing my marriage once and for all.

'Oh, you did, that's wonderful; why didn't you say so? I am so happy to hear that' Suraiya Aunty patted my back like I had done something extraordinary, accomplished an enormous task.

'We should go when she is better. Tell us so we can go see her, okay?' Zehra Aunty asked again as I walked them out.

'I will, and thank you again for the food' I thanked them again and looked at the door after they left.