x For You x

I never felt bad when I got rejected. Yes, it hurt, but I recovered quickly from it. I was very young when I realized that the way my life was being rejected was going to be something I'd always experience. So when my friends left me or when my teachers overlooked me, or when customers in the restaurant ignored me, I didn't cry over it. My heart got colder and harder with time, and I was okay. But he changed that. Ever since I met Shahzaib, my heart started beating a little faster, and his actions and words started affecting me more and more. So that's why it hurt when he didn't look at me or talk to me. The look in his eyes when he pulled back from me when we reached the party made me worried. What if he figures out I am not good enough for him? Why did I let him get so close to me a point that now if he walks away from me, I would shatter and never be able to pick myself up?

'Is this fine?' The florist named Nayab asked me when she put together a small bouquet of three stems of white orchids. Thankfully, I reached the store closely, and she agreed to make it for me since she knew me.

'Yes, this is perfect, thank you...how much is it?' I asked her and pulled out my wallet.

'Oh, don't worry about it' She looked over her head as her back was facing me. I looked over and saw how beautifully she was making the bouquet.

'If you don't charge your customers, you'll be out of business' I smiled at her and put some cash on her table. She took one bill and handed me back the rest of the money.

'You gave me coffee one time when I forgot my wallet in the store when I came to your restaurant, and you said it's on you' She reminded me, and I suddenly remembered. It was raining so much, and hardly anyone was at the restaurant. Jaan was away, and another person was working with me studying for her exam. I was listening to the radio and cleaning around, keeping myself busy on a dull, slow day at work, and then Nayab came into the restaurant drenched in the rain and ordered a coffee. She was in a hurry, so she had forgotten her wallet, so I told her it was my treat. I didn't think she'd remember.

'You remember' My smile grew as the memories came right back from that day. That day I also forgot my umbrella, and on the entire way back home, I kept cursing the rain. Was my fate laughing at me then or is it teasing me now? Now I was in love with a man who liked the rain.

'I remember good people. You were very generous. I hope whoever you are getting this for likes it' She passed me the bouquet of white orchids wrapped in black wrapping. I wanted to get roses, but I thought these orchids suited him better.

'Not many people have shown me this kindness, thank you' I thanked her and left the store feeling a little better than before. Some people had this special aura. Their presence just brings calmness to your soul, and Nayab had that energy. We only met a few times, passing friendly glances as stranges whenever I walked past her store but talking to her and how she made me feel seen made me feel very good about myself. I wish more people like that. I wished one day I become like this too. One day, I can see good things in myself, believe in it, and compliment others too as easily as she did.

'Where were you? I have been looking everywhere for you?' I ran into Shahzaib just as I opened the door to get inside the restaurant. He stepped forward and held my hand as if I'd run away from him. He looked like he'd seen a ghost. I was out for only a while.

'I thought you left,' He said before I could say anything.

'I am here' I searched his eyes, wondering if he was still upset with me, but he looked away immediately.

'I am sorry,' I said without wasting any more time. I grabbed his hand that was on my already and placed the bouquet in his hand. He glared at me like he was shocked.

'Is this for me?' He raised both his eyebrows.

'I can take it back' I was about to reach for it since he was making it such a big deal, but he beat me to it. Before I could grab the bouquet, he got a hold of my wrist and took me out of the restaurant again. He walked to the side of the restaurant that was dark where there was only a little bit of light coming from the road.