x New Beginnings x Last Chapter

Love, happiness, and marriage were never something I thought I deserved. I never imagined I would marry one day out of desperation to save my Nani or fall in love with Shahzaib. Nor did I imagine that one day I would be sitting with his family and mine in the same room, discussing the launch party of Shahzaib's movie and my first debut film, which Shahzaib promised me when we got married under forced circumstances. But here I was in Islamabad with my Nani at Shahzaib's house, listening to the chatters and discussions going on in the room.

Nani was upset in the beginning when the truth came out about us, and we told everyone the truth about our marriage. It was not easy. It took months before things started to get better between us. During that time, Shahzaib's support remained consistent. He explained everything, even took the blame for me, keeping me shielded from accuses and never once complained. He was calm and collected, determined and stubborn to get approval from my Ma, but with his charms and love and care, he showed me eventually dissolved her disapproval too. She never admitted it openly, but I think she liked him more and more as time passed, and he grew on her too.

'Shahzaib Uncle is calling you,' Saif called out from a piano room where Shahzaib was giving him a lesson. I excused myself and went to the room.

'I finished learning the song,' Saif said proudly when I entered the room and sat next to Shahzaib, who welcomed me with a smile. Saif fixed his posture on the bench he was sitting on and started playing. The harmony was simple yet beautiful. I glanced over at Shahzaib and mouthed how great he was playing, and he reached out and took my hand in his.

Since we moved to Islamabad, Saif has started coming out of his shell and becoming more confident and outgoing.

He finished playing the song, and we clapped for him, earning a bright, proud smile from him.

'This is your anniversary song,' He blurted, and I realized that two years had passed since Shahzaib and I got married. I thought I would have to wait a few more years, but luckily everything got better. We couldn't celebrate our first year anniversary because there was still some tension going on between our family so we decided our whenever our family accept us, we we then celebrate our wedding anniversary. Shahzaib's brother and his wife had a lot to do with that. They stayed by our side and convinced Nani and Ma to let go of their anger and give us a chance.

'That was lovely, thank you' I went to hug Saif. After that, he ran off to tell the rest of the house that he had completed his song.

'Our anniversary' I returned my gaze to Shahzaib, who went to close the door behind him and sat on the bench, offering me his hand. As soon as I reached him, he pulled me onto his lap, and I almost squealed in surprise. He did these things quite often, winking at me in the middle of a family meal, stealing a kiss from me randomly in the quiet hallways, hiding gifts for me and making me look for them like a scavenger hunt. Sometimes his spontaneous love gestures were enough for both of us. Where I was more shy in these situations, he was more out there for a better word. We were literally ying and yang. Completing each other.

'Why do you do this?' I giggled when he pulled me, so I faced the piano, and my back pressed against his chest.

'Hand on the keys,' He whispered in my ears.

'Is this part of the anniversary playlist too?' I managed to say when he covered my hands with his and guided me to start playing.

'Last time I had you like this, you ran away' He chuckled softly, but even then, his voice fluttered my heart. Even now, his touch, closeness, and feel of his skin against mine left me with goosebumps on my arms and a skipping a beat in my heart.

'I am not running anymore' I turned my head slightly to look at him, and a smile touched his lips.

'My heart has chained your heart, or is it the other way around?' His comment tugged a smile on my lips too.

'We should have used this line in the movie,' I tsked, making him laugh, and he moved his hand to wrap around my stomach.

'Next time,' He murmured and rested his head on my shoulders, taking a deep breath and pulling me closer to him.

'Do you believe in luck?' I asked, and he lifted his face and rested his chin on my shoulder.

'I think I do now' The concentration of emotion in his words tingled my eyes.

'Me too,' I said and turned my body to the side to put my hand on his shoulder and face him.

'I thought you did not believe in it' His cheek dimpled.

'I believe in everything that comes to you' I curled my hand around the back of his neck, and he drew me into his chest, and I sank into his embrace.

'It is going to get busy in a few days when promotion and launch,' He said.

'Do you want to run away for a few days? We still have our honeymoon tickets to Turkey.' His comment did not feel like a suggestion, more like something we would do.

'Are you telling me or asking me?' He pulled me back to look at me when I said that.

There was a slight panic in his eyes like he had done something he should not have. Yes, there was a lot to do before our movie releases, but we were constantly working and taking care of everything, so we didn't get any breaks at all. A mini vacation was much needed, and I wanted to do it, but I dropped the idea, so we stayed on schedule.

'I love this idea' I lifted my head and brushed my lips against his, and his tensed shoulders dropped in relief. It almost made me laugh how this big man that was a boss on set and ordered people around could worry about something like this.

'When are we going?' I was honestly excited. Since Ma has been living with us, she has had more company. She goes out more, has more help and has Saif, who now has one more grandma-like figure. They are inseparable at times. I was relieved to know she was not alone. Shahzaib convinced her to live with us too. How could I not be completely in love with him and fall more every time he did things like this for me.

'On our anniversary,' He cheekily said with a grin.

'Today is our anniversary...wait a minute, today?' Now panic rushed over me, and I was about to get up from his lap, and he held me tighter.

'Everything is taken care of...surprise' He swayed his hands up.

'Shahzaib? I said.

'I love you' I placed a hand over his chest.

'If you continue to look at me like this, we might miss our flight' He looked at me with his eyes heating.

'Then let me go' I tried to free myself from his solid hold, but it was almost impossible.

'A kiss will do,' He tried to bargain.

And in a situation like this, I happily obliged. Because of him, I was no longer trapped in my mind, nor was he haunted by his past. We were both healing and helping each other. In our world, we were not alone. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello dear friends, those who are still here after so many months. First of all, thank you, and also sorry. My schedule was so overbooked that I didn't get any time off to finish this story but now I am on winter holidays and finally have some time so I decided to make some time and at least give an ending to this story. Because no story is unfinished, it always has an end and if you have read my other books too then you will know I like happy endings so here is one more.

I hope the new year brings you happiness, love, peace, and prosperity, and wherever you are I hope you choose happiness for yourself and do your best to stay positive and seek goodness for yourself and others. 

I hope you stay kind to yourself, forgive yourself, allow yourself to learn and unlearn, take new challenges, let go of things that no longer serve you and make your life better and do more of what makes you truly happy.

I love you all so much. Thank you for staying with me. <3