safe

The sweet vanilla of your shampoo on Bucky's hair was the first thing that greeted you in the morning. Without moving or opening your eyes, you lay on top of your lover with your heart happy. Your mind went back to the night before and reached out in search of Bucky's hand. 

"good morning, doll," he said and hugged you tighter. Still, with your eyes closed, you sighed as you felt Bucky's soft lips on your head. His voice was raspy and made your heart melt like chocolate, and all you wanted to do was lay there forever in his arms. 

"Good morning, darling," you said "How did you sleep?" 

You got off his chest and stretched your body out before cuddling up to him once more. 

"Good," he said and slid his arms around your waist, before nuzzling into your neck "How about you? " 
A yawn escaped your lips as you pressed you body harder against Bucky.
"I barely got any sleep"
You pictured yourself in the dark, like you had been the night before, mesmerised by Bucky's chest rising with his breath. It had been long since you had watched him sleep like that, mostly because if you thought about it you knew it was incredibly creepy, and yet the image of his eyelashes peacefully fluttering kept you awake. There had been countless times where he'd sob in his sleep, murmuring things in a language you couldn't understand, and some in English which would break your heart.
He had slept peacefully, and somewhere in your heart you decided that it means he felt safe with you, as if he was beginning to feel like himself again.
"do you want to try again?" he asked. You considered not doing it for a few seconds, but your eyelids were fighting to close back. Nodding, you buried your body back in the bed, and hugged Bucky with your face on his chest.
Contrary to the night before when his breath had been your insomniac, it was like a lullaby now. It sung you to sleep until you were no longer conscious about anything.
By the time you woke up again, Bucky was not next to you, and he was nowhere to be found. You sighed, as he had probably hone out for a run around the compound with Steve. He was not a sleeping late kind of person, and your mornings on days off were mostly spent alone until you got out of your room.

The door to your room opened, and Bucky's face made an expression between excitement and disappointment, which doesn't really make sense and still he managed to look like that.
"Why are you looking at me like that?" you asked, still sleepy.
"Well you're beautiful, doll, but I wanted to wake you up with some breakfast"
You could only see his face, but when he stepped in you saw a tray filled with food, and a cup of tea.
You smiled.
"Babe, you didn't have to"
He nodded.
"I know I didn't but I wanted to, but honestly you should just thank Wanda because I would not have been able to cook this without her"
You giggled.
"Did she make this entire thing, James?"
Bucky avoided your eyes and then nodded embarrassed.
"Yeah"
He walked over to you,  placed the tray on your legs, and sat next to you.
"It's okay, it's the thought that counts"
You gave him a quick peck on the lips and digged into your breakfast. Once you were finished eating, you put the tray away and caught Bucky looking at you with shiny eyes.
"What is it?" you asked "Did you want some food as well?"
He shook his head no.
"I love you doll" he said. You smiled and hugged him.
"I love you too James"