Protection (1)

You were the newest addition to the Avengers team. But you were different than everyone else. You were extremely smart. Smarter than Tony and Bruce combined. You could take down entire cybernetic operations while sitting down and having some coffee in the Avengers compound. 

You weren't the best fighter, actually, you couldn't even do a push-up without falling on the floor. You lacked of any upperbody strength. You still trained with the others though, to keep yourself in shape, even if you never went out on the field. 

Everyone in the team loved you, you were the best friend they could have ever wished for. But there was one member of the team that had you in a special place in his heart: Bucky Barnes.

After a very long talk with Steve, he finally gathered enough courage to walk up to you and ask you out. 

Everyone else was out by the pool, and Steve and Bucky joined them. Bucky found you, took a deep breath and walked over to you. As soon as they saw him, Natasha and Wanda left and gave you a small smirk. 

" [y/n] can I talk to you really quickly?" he said nervously. You chuckled. 

"Of course, what is it?"

"I was wondering if maybe you would like to go out with me sometime?" he asked quietly. But loud enough for you to hear. 

Your heart fluttered in joy, but you were in shock. You couldn't believe he actually liked you back.

When he saw that you were not responding, he let out a soft sigh and began to walk away defeated, but before he could leave, you grabbed his metal hand and pulled him towards you, crashing your lips on his. 

"Of course I'd love to go out with you, idiot." 

Everything flowed perfectly from that day on. The mornings, waking up beside him, lazy sundays, late night swims, dates, everything was perfect and you were madly in love with him. Of course, some nights were rough. He had nightmares and you had to wake him up and sing him to sleep. 

One morning, you woke up on an empty bed. Bucky was standing weirdly in front of the door, his forehead pressed against it, with his two arms beside his head. 

"James, baby, what are you doing?" you chuckled. He looked at you, but he wasn't laughing. You frowned.

"What are we doing here, [y/n]? It's ridiculous. We don't even work." he said, almost angry. You lifted your eyebrows and looked at him confused. 

"What are you saying, James? I-I don't understand!"

He let out a sigh. 

"We're over, [y/n]. You and me, we're done." he said and left the room without saying another word. It took you a few seconds to get out of your shock, and a few more until warm, salty tears were flowing on your cheeks. 

Bucky tried to convince himself that it was for the best. He was dangerous, and the last thing he wanted for you was to get hurt. 

"You're doing this to protect her, remember that."  he thought. But there was no use. Two hearts were already shattered.