Jealousy (1)

"What's up with Barnes today anyway" y/n asked with an annoyed expression on her face as she returned to the breakfast table after an unpleasant encounter with the sergeant. Wanda looked at her confused, as it was known among the avengers that Bucky and y/n were the closest members of the group. Even surpassing the closeness between Steve and Natasha. 

"What do you mean?" Wanda asked "What happened?"

Y/n let out a tired sigh and looked at her friend. 

"I don't even know" she said "I ran into him in the hallway on my way here and when I said hello, he just brushed me off and told me not to bother him"

Wanda frowned. "That really is weird, considering everything..."

"You're missing something" Steve joined the conversation after listening to what the two girls were saying. He carefully sat down with them, crossed his arms, and looked at the both of them with his mouth shut. 

Wanda rolled her eyes and laughed. 

"What is it Steve?" y/n asked "What are we missing that you're so eager to tell us"

Steve grinned and watched them amused. 

"Sam is coming back today, and well... we know that he gets more attention of a certain someone when he's around"

Steve and Wanda immediately looked at y/n, to say: we're talking about you 

"What? That is so not true" she tried to convince herself. "And even if it was... what the hell does it have to do with Barnes? Am I not allowed to have other friends? Bucky's my  friend, not my boyfriend." 

Steve and Wanda interchanged looks just as Tony began sitting down on the breakfast table. He gave everyone a confused look, and after no one explained what was going on, he finally asked. 

"So what are we talking about?" he said. 

"We are just trying to convince y/n that Barnes is jealous of Sam, who, by the way comes back today" Steve explained. 

"Wilson comes back today?" Tony asked surprised "Oh and yeah, Barnes is so completely jealous of him."

Y/n furrowed her eyebrows and sighed. 

"But why? I mean it's logical... I grew up with the guy. He's like my oldest friend. Am I supposed to not care about him?"

Tony shook his head side to side. 

"The difference is, Barnes is in love with you and Wilson takes all of the attention you give him off him, so it makes sense he's mad"

"You're all being so childish, I'll just go talk to Bucky myself instead of wasting my time with you bunch of idiots" she said laughing and stood up. 

She began walking towards Bucky's room, with her heart on her chest. What they all said at the table was pure bullshit... right? 

The mere thought of there being a chance that Bucky was in love with her, made her heart beat at a rate that wasn't even normal and all of her senses were blurry. Because she had hid beneath all of her feelings and decided that she could never like James Barnes, because he would never like her back. But everyone said he did, so what was she supposed to believe? 

She finally arrived at Bucky's door. It was shut and there was no sound coming from inside, so y/n sighed and knocked softly. 

"Bucky? Are you here?" she questioned, expecting no response from him. But her expectations were soon broken by his raspy voice answering him with a soft come in.

She did exactly that and entered his room, only to find him laying in bed watching television, with no shirt on. Her breath hitched, but she tried her best to conceal it and continued making her way towards him. She sat down beside him and looked into his blue eyes. 

"Are you mad at me for something?" she asked "Because this morning made me think that and I can't stand you being mad at me"

Bucky watched her as she spoke. 

"I'm not mad at you, there are just many things in my mind right now and I kind of have to deal with it alone" he said, with some evident anger in his voice. 

"But you don't need to figure things out by yourself, you know I can help you" y/n tried to say but Bucky shook his head. 

"I don't need your help, now get out"

Y/n looked at him surprised and rolled her eyes. 

"God help me for trying to be there for you" she mumbled and began walking out. But before she could, Bucky was already up and stopped her by grabbing her wrist. Their bodies were so close that y/n's chest was almost touching his bare one, and their faces were centimeters apart. 

"I'm sorry" he whispered, and she felt his hot breath against her face. For a second, y/n thought that he was going to kiss her. But nothing happened, so the illusion faded away. 

"I have to go" she told him and left his room without another word.