Magnets

"What have you got there?" your voice used to be mean and rough. It was now soft and sweet, whenever you saw your baby. She was almost three years old, had James' blue eyes and was the smartest little kid you'd ever seen.

"magnets!" she said. Of course, you'd been hesitant to have children. After fighting wars, aliens, national conspiracies, and actual witches, it seemed selfish to bring her up in a world that bled with violence. But that was over, it had been over for years, and you weren't going back. You'd packed your bags, taken James' hand and never looked back. Three months after your wedding, in your little cozy northern cabin, you told your husband that you'd be three instead of two.

"And what do you want magnets for sweetie?"

"For Daddy!"

You laughed out loud. It had been a whole process to get her to understand why her father's arm felt cold all the time. She'd gone through the process of telling you you were the weird one, to calling his arm a baseball bat, to calling him Mr. Robot. This last one had lasted for weeks before she forgot he had a metal arm since winter had forced him to wear long-sleeved shirts.

She gave you the pink-colored magnet and you laughed at the glittery PRETTY PRINCESS letters.

"What am I getting?" James' face appeared from the kitchen door. He'd been spending the last couple of weeks trying to learn how to cook your childhood meals, as well as practicing his own. "I heard something's for me"

He ran from the kitchen to the living room, where you were with your daughter, without noticing his child had hidden the magnet behind her back. He was squatting down beside you, his apron still on and his hair messy. You looked at him, admired him even, his hands slightly stained with yellow powders and smelling of chopped onion and fresh garlic.

"You can't have it yet Daddy James," she said "I'm showing it to mommy now"

He laughed, deliciously as he always did and your heart fluttered. For a second you wanted to cry, feeling the same way you had felt for him from the second you saw him for the first time.

"Oh come on darling," he said and reached for her "I want to know!"

"No!" She said. She jumped into his arms and the magnet disappeared. You kept her secret to yourself and saw them both disappear into the kitchen.

That night, you'd had a shower and laid down on your bed when James appeared tired and covered in flour. He moved towards you, his eyes glistening with something you knew too well.

"James no, go have a shower" you giggled but he didn't listen. "Bucky, stop"

He picked you up and kissed you, staining your pajamas with flour. "Can you check my arm, please?"

"Why?" You asked, already knowing the answer.

"I haven't been able to move it correctly all day, and I don't want to have to call Shuri to fix it or she'll make fun of me"

"Let me have a look," you said "Take off your shirt"

He did so and sat down. You stroked his back and massaged it softly, gaining a groan out of him.

"I found the culprit," you said and took the PRETTY PRINCESS magnet off of his arm. You laughed to yourself and handed it to him. "Our pretty princess thought it was good to give you the title"

He laughed and smiled warmly.

"Did you like my gift daddy?" Your daughter said from the doorframe. She smiled and jumped into your bed, into your arms. James cupped her face and kissed her forehead while she cuddled up into you.

"I loved it"

Your chest was warm, and you were happy.