Chapter VII

The house was empty when Idelle left a week ago. Ana could not bare the silence of the manor. She wanted to hear Idelle's voice chime through the halls as it did when she was here. She sat there on the chair inside the library and could not focus on her book. Bell's suddenly rang and Ana immediately stood up and ran to the door in haste. It was when she was down the steps of the grand hall Mary called to her.

"It's for you Miss."

She kept herself from panting too hard as she stood in front of Mary. She took the letter from the older lady's hand and disappeared in the privacy of her room. She shut the door behind her and looked down at the brown envelope. Ana tore it open carefully.

March 31, 1807

Dearest Ana,

Do not be angry with me. It took four days to get here and I was able to have time to-day to focus on my letter to you. Also, I hope you are not too angry with me. You are a sister to me, thus you deserve a proper title. The first day here was utterly boring. I'd much rather be at home toying with you.

I've a roommate with no sense in boundary! She could be standing over me, watching what it is I am writing. It is only the second day and she insists on standing so close to me. Oh, Ana I desperately need you here with me. I miss you so. I've no friends here, you are my only friend; my sister.

We are expected to dine and we cannot be late. I miss you.

Yours;

Idelle Lorenzo

Ana laughed at Idelle's troubles. She should write to her at once. Poor Idelle.

April 4, 1807

Dear Idelle,

I have every right to be angry and yet I cannot for if i do so, you will be saddened. You as well as I know I cannot take part in your social ranking. People will whisper and I shan't taint your name. I do not wish that upon you, dear sister.

I can tell why you would be upset. It was like the time Helen would not stop following us. She claimed it was to ensure our safety. How much safer can we be inside the penetrable Lorenzo Keep?

I miss you as well. It is very lonely here. I miss your loud voice echoing in the halls and every maid scurrying for cover. You frighten them Idelle, those poor things.

Write to me whenever you can, I shall be here waiting.

Yours

Ana Matthews

Once Ana had finished her letter, she set it there to dry and went down to find one of the maids. Before getting near the stairway, Helen came up panting and flushed. Her poor grey hairs were flying everywhere.

"Milady, there is a letter! It is from Dorian Barrington, the Lord of Barrington Keep!" She exclaimed handing her the letter.

"What do you wish of me to do of it? I do not own this Keep!" Ana exclaimed, handing the letter back to Helen.

"You do Miss. That gives you the right to open letters that are not addressed to you. Open it. Quick."

"I cannot! It is not in my power!"

"Lady Idelle gave you the tittle Mistress of this Keep, therefore giving you all the power you need to open this letter."

Ana hesitated and look down at the envelope. It was addressed to Lord Lorenzo! She could not possibly open this letter now. She swallowed as her nerves were taking over.