Chapter XLII

"Figure out where she went!" He ordered Melanie.

It has been more than a few days now and Ray Lorenzo was more than just angry, poor Melanie was suffering from his brutal monarchy.

"Finding a trail is not easy, I have told you this! I am doing the best I can."

That was not enough for Lord Lorenzo. He needed to find Ana now. She is carrying his child! What a fool he was to try to hide Stella Baines. It was all his fault Ana was gone. But another thing puzzled him. Why was Theresa old? Why does she need Ana?

"Are you finally asking yourself questions you should have done in the beginning?" Melanie asked him while she studied the vial.

His eyes narrowed at her, "What of it?"

"Theresa's aging because of a potion she created that makes men fall in love with her only to drain them of their soul so that she becomes immortal. You were the last one to drink her potion, but you were able to get away. She needs your soul," she said to him. "I am assuming Ana Matthews is only bait to get you to find her."

"And when were you going to tell me all of this?"

"Until you'd stop being a bloody ass and come to your senses."

"Alright. Forgive me. It all makes sense except for that last part. If she wished for me to follow her she would have left an easier trail. She is desperate right now, is her life coming to an end?"

"Not yet, I still have to deliver the final blow. I do not understand why she took your woman," she said. "Is she going to do something rash like force her to drink, perhaps she knows of the child ," she stopped. Her mind composing so many questions and one solution. "She was not after your woman, Ray," she whispered and turned back to face him, his rough features. "She is after your child."

"She will lay no finger on my child. Nor my woman," Ray Lorenzo swore.

A cold shiver went down Melanie's spine. Ray Lorenzo's facial expression was more than just menacing. He looked like a wild animal already enjoying the spoils of his kill. When the poor prey is cut down and the wild beast is protecting his own share. Melanie had only seen it once; the way the wild animal growls at anyone approaching its kill, threatening with its eyes to kill anyone trying to take its kill away. This wild beast is Ray Lorenzo.

There was no taming him until he had what he wanted.

It was dark and lonely and she felt odd. As if she was not truly awake although she was staring at the ceiling. She could not move, something was detaining her.

"Ah, you're awake," a voice said. The old woman with long grey, shriveled hair loomed over her. "You will be in this state for a while," she told Ana.

Ana noticed how the older woman was panting and struggling to walk. She did not know what was the matter with her, all she knew was that this old woman practiced sorcery. She could move her eyes but that was about all she could do.

"Dear, you are going to be here for a while. You will be able to move around here in a bit. But only around here, in this place. This house."

She needed to wait three more months. Theresa had no spells to speed this process nor could she cut out the child from the mother. If Theresa were to do that there was no telling what was going to happen. This baby has Theresa's potion in its bloodstream; the potion where it would be easy to sacrifice this child for her eternal beauty. Then she would live forever and will be the most beautiful thing anyone has ever laid eyes on.

There was nothing wrong with being wanted and desired! That is all she wants!

And she will have it with this child. That was all. Just one more body. Just one. One more out of the hundreds. One.

There were many things she was feeling. Ana was frightened and she wanted Ray. He made her feel safe. No matter how rude, or how angry, Ray Lorenzo would always protect her. Always. When she was being chased by the wolves, when her father needed to get out of his debts, when she cut herself on a loose glass of the frame, and when the horse went wild and he chased her down to keep her from getting thrown off the horse.

Ana did not feel the tear slide off her cheek, but she knew she was crying. There was no telling what was to happen now. Would Ray Lorenzo ever find her? Would she ever see him again?

Melanie could not find Theresa's trail. Not only that, she realized how in love this man was with the girl that was taken.

Ray Lorenzo was . . . broken--in a way. As if he could not function without his woman. A switch must have gone off in his brain, Melanie thought. And she knew the feeling all too well. His eyes still scared Melanie. It was nothing she could not handle, after all she did have experience with eyes like his.

Melanie sighed and continued working. glass containers and beakers were all over the ground and she had her poorly sewn journals with her to write down everything she can. She knew there was going to be a storm soon. Theresa was a very patient woman . . . a patient and frightening woman. She was torturing Lord Lorenzo for the sake of beauty. This woman was insane and if Melanie felt any compassion for her--which she did not--she would try and help her.

The devil woman can die, she thought to herself. Melanie was going to end her life no matter the cost. Theresa needed to be stopped and Melanie was prepared for the task. There are now more lives at stake. Was it possible to kill Theresa without letting any harm come to Ray's woman and child?

Idelle was frightened. Theresa made off with Ana and she was helpless to save her. Ana was her little sister! It was the elder sisters' job to take care of the young ones'. Always. Idelle failed Ana once again. How could she ever find her now?

Her brother--Ray--was going out of his wits end to try and locate her. And all Idelle could do was pace about in her room. She was ineffectual, terrified, alone, and guilty. How could she let this happen to her sister?

Idelle knew, after all, how her brother was. The only reason as to why Ana was upset had to be because of her brother.

Ana . . . she is kind. Sweet. Charming. Lovable.

Idelle sat upon the white sheets on her bed. Tears streaked down her cheeks thinking on how she could let something happen to her precious sister. Why would anyone wish harm upon Ana Matthews? She is an angel. An angel that fell prey to her brother. An angel that had seen he good in her brother just as Idelle knew he had in him. She is more than just the farm girl.

She was Idelle's precious friend.

Ana had begun to regain control over her limbs. She stood up from the mattress she was upon and looked about. The witch was not here, she was alone in the obscure, grey room. There was only one window, one drawer, and one desk.

She placed her hands on her pregnant belly. She will do all she can to protect this child.
This child is mine, She thought. Nothing can happen to it.