Chapter XIII

It was midday and the Master still had not come for her or sent any of the maids to. Ana had finished writing her letter to Idelle hours ago and she was afraid to send it off to Helen. It was as if she needed his approval to write to his sister. Although Idelle made her swear she would not let the Lord control her, she could not help but shrink back in fear. He was tall and intimidating, the scariest yet beautiful eyes she'd ever seen and she had a grotesque temper, something that terrified her even more than his intimidating nature.

A knock at her door made it impossible for her to stand on her two feet. There was this churn in her stomach that made her feel unwell.

"Miss? The Lord wishes your presence." It was Helen.

Her heart leaped from her chest and into her throat. How can God be punishing her? She'd been the obedient child for so long. She made her legs stand and walk to the door. Helen was waiting for her outside of it.

"I'll take you to his study Miss." There was concern in her voice.

Helen herself was not expecting the master of the house so soon. She prayed to the Lord in Heaven for the child. The poor innocent child. Helen's known the master since he was a babe, everything changed when . . . enough. It was not the time to remember any of that. Yes he deserved pity but, he's had years full of it. Those scars on his face are proof. The Mistress of the house, Ana, was nothing Helen thought she'd be. She half expected to act high and mighty on her new title and command everyone to clean everything in it. Yet, when Mary sprained her ankle, Ana took it upon herself to do the rest of the cleaning and the gardening and the laundry. She even cleaned the west wing, the place no one dared step foot. That was all the Master's quarters, everything there belonged to him and fell victim to his rage and temper. Helen and Mary and Idelle are the only trusted women in his life. He will torment the poor Mistress endlessly. Helen sighed and looked behind at Ana who seemed to be just as distraught as she was.

Nothing was able to bring her peace, she clutched a small piece of cloth on her sleeve. The only thing she had of her family and she never felt the need for comfort more than she did now. Ana walked through the door Helen held out for her. She swallowed as she was alone in the room with Lord Lorenzo. The Master of the House.

The room was dark although there was light outside. His face was marked with rage and his glowing eyes filled with hate. Those animalistic eyes scared her. She still stood near the door, not wanting to be near him just in case he decided to act out.

"There had better be a reason as to why you are still here." He barked and she flinched.

He was feeling things in his stomach when he looked upon her. It angered him when he scared her. He narrowed his eyes at his thoughts and drank down the last of his drink and served himself some more. He needed to drown out his feelings. Something didn't feel right with this girl, this woman. He growled at the thought. He hated women. He'd never allow anyone to disrespect him, only three were allowed; no more. Helen, who took care of him in place of his so-called-unfaithful mother, Mary, his loving aunt and Idelle, his beloved little sister. They were more family to him than any female in his life. Than anyone in general. Save for Dorian, he was a good friend and cousin.

Lord Lorenzo needed to make this brat go away. He needed her to leave, she did something to him and he was not liking it. He could always send her away, yet, a part of him wanted to keep her here. His foolish organ in his chest, did it not know any better? He was not listening to the explanation she was going on about. He only took note on how her lips moved and how he wished for them to say his name. She was saying something about breaking a vase.

Lorenzo, the Lord and Master of the house, had no intention on letting her go, Ana saw that in his golden amber eyes while she was explaining the incident with the vases. It was not her fault she slipped from the water she spilled. Oh the dread. He must be furious! Ana wanted to hide and never come out.

He remembered when she was laying sick in bed, her chemise rising to her thighs; he shook his head. He felt a fire swirling in his groin. Lorenzo knew that if the girl did not get out, he'd have no control over his actions.

"You need to pay your debt and leave. The vases are worth more than your life and I plan on making sure you pay it back." He said sternly. "Get out." He ordered.

Ana scrambled out of there like her life depended on it. She was not in the mood for anything that had to do with his temper, he frightened her and angered her so much. Ana knew she must pay back her debt, her fathers is done and paid for but, she also owes the Lord her life. She cannot come to terms with it. Yet, she wants to leave and hope he does not remember he saved her life more than once. She sighed. She can never cheat her way out of things. She was always the good child, she still is. Her father taught her well and her mother. Sadly, her sisters did not take in those traits. She respected them though, they were her older sisters. She needed to work harder to get out of this debt.

"Miss Matthews, I've a letter for you." Helen told her.

Ana did not know who it could be from, Lord Dorian could not be home yet, and Idelle must be busy with her studies. She took the letter from Helen and quickly opened it. To her surprise, it was Idelle.

March 29, 1807
Dearest Ana,

I have been busy with school and my studies. There are new professors here and I have made new acquaintances other than my roommate. They are quite lovely, you would enjoy their company. Oh, how I wish I were still home. Please write to me whenever you can, I might not be able to respond so quickly, it does take days to receive the message as well. I miss you.

Yours,

Idelle Lorenzo

It was small but, she did not expect a two paged letter. Her words warmed Ana's heart. Idelle was still going through her day thinking of her. She sat on the steps reading the small paragraph when she heard footsteps coming down. She quickly stood up and fixed her dress, she remembered she has not changed it since she fell asleep in the music room. Going into her room, she fixed herself a bath. She did not want to heat up the water in this insane heat they were experiencing. She already wrote to Idelle but, it wouldn't hurt to write another one later in the evening.

He needed to take away this desire. He's never been like this before, this uncontrollable desire. He's never had a desire like this before, not even with her. There was no mistake about it, this Ana girl arose feelings in him he swore to have destroyed years ago. A knock made him come to his senses.

"Come in." He ordered.

"Milord, you called for us?" It was Mary and Helen.

"What has happened these last few years? Why is she still here? Is anything missing?" he bombarded them with questions.

"With all due respect Milord, she is a well kept, well-mannered young woman. She has done wonders in this house we did not expect she'd do." Helen stated a bit roughly. She did not like the master insulting her Ladyship.

"I agree." Mary said.

He needed to do something. This feeling, this need will destroy him. He has only been here a day and he is already needing the chit. There was nothing in particular he needed to do, he's well-aware of is affairs and did not need anything save for the girl. His body needed her like he's never needed anything before. He did not know what stoked these feelings but he did not deny he needed them. Needed her.