Chapter XXXIV

Ana awoke from her sleep, her swollen belly uncomfortable. It was too big to hide now and Dorian was doing the best that he could to keep her healthy. He never ushered a word to her and this has gone for five months now. Five months she had been here and she felt lonelier than ever. Her movements have become sluggish and she felt useless.

She wishes to go outside and walk but the steps were a challenge and she did not want to burden anyone in helping her walk down the stairs. Sitting near the window, Ana spent most of her time staring at the blue sky. Her mind would wander back in time. What if she never came to look for her papa? She never would have made the deal with Lord Lorenzo and she would never be in this position.

Ana buried her face in her hands. She did not mean that. She would never truly regret what she has done and how it happened. Ana was somewhat content with the outcome and she would not change it. She was able to meet people and care for them. She made friends. She fell in love.

Love.

The very thing that has tarnished her and yet she still ached for that one man; Ray Lorenzo. The one man that gave her everything and the same man that took everything away.

Helen, Mary and Idelle made their way to her cousin Dorian's estate. She had put it off when her brother disappeared into the night. It was only three months ago and yet it seemed like an eternity. Idelle was no longer cheerful nor bright. The memories of the same events before had risen to the surface and plundered her down.

The coach made a halt and Idelle took notice of what was in front of her. They were here. Sluggishly, she got out of the coach and she was in no mood to explore her cousins' place.

Ana heard the halt of a carriage and she looked out her window. Her eyes narrowed at the sight and then she scampered to her feet and rushed as much as she could towards the door. Her tears formed and she felt incompetent. How could she show herself to the woman who loves her brother dearly? Surely, she'd be angered with the thought of Ana carrying her brother's child.

Ana stared at the steps below her. She could not possibly bare the look on Idelle's face when she heard it from her. She'll be horrified and once again Ana would lose someone else she loves. Ana cannot go down and meet her. She could not take that chance.

Ana retreated back into her room. She was no longer considered Idelle's friend once she find out her situation. An unmarried woman with a child growing inside her is the worst way to be recognized. Ana silently cried in her room. She did not wish to see anyone, the maids included.

Was she to shun everyone away? Is this the consequence of her love? She had no right to complain. She should have thought of this earlier, before any of this happened. This was her own fault.

It was destroyed, the place he had been captured in. There was nothing here but broken glass and furniture. Theresa surely made a mess of things. This place used to be kept and cleaned. Theresa was not known for untidiness. Perhaps this happened when he got out of her grasp. Either way, there was nothing of use to him here and even if there was, he could not distinguish between potions. He was not trained in this, Theresa made sure of it. Underneath the shrubbery, there was movement. He unsheathed his sword towards the noise. The small lump on the floor moved a bit and then the covers fell off. His brow raised in surprise. What is a little girl doing, sleeping in this area? The little girl yawned and rubbed her eyes. Her long blonde hair covering her shoulders and coming in front of her face.

The small child looked up at him blankly. Her eyes then widened and she let out a scream as she jumped from place to place. This child was more like an animal jumping like that.

"Child! Quit your screaming! I mean no harm!" He shouted as he got closer to the girl.

"Lie! You are here for new potions! Or worse! You are here to kill me!" She managed to climb up the broken wood attached to the rafter. Her feet were bare and her tiny form was amusing.

"Potions? How can a girl of your age create potions?"

"Make no mistake mercenary! I am an alchemist! A very powerful one at that! Just because I cannot grow that does not mean I will not harm you!" She threatened.

His brow shot up again.

"Your marred face does little to frighten me, cursed man!"

"You are telling me that you are skilled with potions and elixirs?" He asked the small child hanging from a rafter. This really cannot be. A child? Or rather, a tiny woman. He had to stop himself from chuckling. This truly was odd.

"Aye," she said.

Ray sighed, "Look, child, I need help. Can you distinguish any of these potions here? I used to live here with a vengeful witch named Theresa."

Ray noticed the child's expression grow to hate. No longer the adorable, dirty, little girl.

"Theresa," she seethed. "She is the reason my brother is dead."

"Then we understand each other. She has cursed myself and one precious to me. Please, I need your help in figuring out how to destroy her," he practically begged.

The little girl had jumped from the rafter and right in front of him. "As long as I deliver the final blow."

"You have yourself a deal," he said, extending his hand towards the child who is no child.

"Come," she said. "First I need you to see something."

He followed the small woman.