Chapter XXVI

He was not at all expecting that. No, he was expecting his cousin to not have feelings for the girl, but it was quite obvious Ray Lorenzo had also fallen for Ana Matthews. Dorian paced back and forth recalling their discussion.

"I do mind."

The words Dorian was not expecting. He remembered his cousins' distaste for women ever since he can remember.

"You expect me to believe that? Are you jesting?" Dorian asked him.

His cousins eyes showed that he was not. He was completely serious. Something that Dorian was always well aware when it came to Ray Lorenzo, but having his own cousin as a rival did not fit right with him.

"Sadly, I am not. The chit has captivated me in a way I am still trying to comprehend."

"Her name is Miss Ana Matthews; not chit," Dorian quickly defended her. "You really expect me to believe your words if you cannot demonstrate affection for the woman you claim to have captivated you?" Dorian almost spat.

"You deal with it your way and I will deal with it my way. Don't think me a fool Dorian, I know you have a slight fascination with her, but I will not just silently sit by and let you win her over."

Ray Lorenzo did not know what he was saying. He did not want Dorian to keep her. He didn't want any man to take her away. No one can make innocent doe feel the wonders of a proper man. Dorian is a gentleman, something Ray can never hope to be. He knew that. Ray knew there was no hope for him, no one would wish to be with a beast like him. It was obvious, but he just cannot seem to let this little doe go. No matter how little the chances, Ray Lorenzo will not let his doe go.

Did he think someone would fall for his little doe? No, of course not. When she came she was drab and plain and small. He sighed. She still is. She still was plain and small, she was different. His little doe would trade a manor for other people to live comfortably in it. The little doe was kind and a hard worker and sweet; she is all these things and he the opposite. Never would he have ever let someone like her in his home let alone a handful of them.

Ray Lorenzo let out a frustrating groan. He was angered and flustered with this woman. He did not want this feeling to come back. After what had happened in two incidents, he was sure it would never happen again. Someone with his status could never feel love again. He shouldn't be able to. It was as if it were happening all over again, falling for someone who would never love him back. He scoffed. Love. What was love but a troublesome and bothersome feeling? He should have bit his tongue when Dorian mentioned making advances toward Ana. He could have ended everything there, forget her while Dorian whisked her away; leaving him in a large, empty, and lonely manor.

He drank in silence in the confines of his office. Something to forget about what had happened with Dorian and himself. He needed to do something.

A cough startled Dorian from his pacing.

"Miss Matthews," he coughed," I did not see you here. I thought I was alone."

"No, forgive me for not announcing my presence earlier. I just did not know what to do."

"It's alright. I understand," he smiled, as if nothing had ever happened. "Please, accompany me back into the manor." He extended his arm to her and she took it.

Ana felt terrible about being there when he needed a moment alone. She also couldn't help but wonder what it was he was flustered about. Even now he seemed uneasy.

"Why do we not go riding?" She asked him. Surely that would distract him from his previous thoughts.

He laughed, "Are you not afraid? Last I remember, you did not take to kindly to unfamiliar horses."