Chapter XXIII

He had been walking about until he heard the pounding on the door. Yes, he's been having sleepless nights and all because of that woman.

He followed the echo to the front door and there she stood, speaking to a man. He vaguely heard the conversation. All he knew was that they were speaking about is beloved sister. Not only that, he refused to listen to anything else. Who was that man?! Were they plotting something against his sister?

He followed her into the parlor and watched as she opened the small packages of letters. There were three boxes as well. Lord Lorenzo was confused, all he knew was that they were all addressed to her and by Idelle.

"You must be insane Idelle." he heard her whisper.

It was when she opened the packages and inside of them were priceless jewelry sets.

"And what do we have here?" He found himself asking.

She turned to face him and he was more captivated by her radiant, shining eyes than the expression on her face. Ana Matthews stood, shocked or, rather, scared.

"Why was that man here and why do you have packages containing priceless pieces of jewelry?" he asked menacingly.

He proceeded walking to the table, ignoring the fact that she was trying to hide the evidence. Lorenzo took one letter from the table and read it against Ana's obvious protest.

He did not like what he read. What on earth is she sending to his sister about him? The thought both enraged him and made him wonder what she said about him. Not only that, Dorian seemed to have taken a keen interest on the girl.

"How dare you! This is mine! Of no concern of yours it is!"

"I do not care that you are passing gossip to my sister or that you have ensnared my only cousin with your looks, what I care about is how you have gotten this." he pointed at the fine jewelry.

"They were gifts from Idelle! Not only that, I had no intention on keeping them! Had you let me finished opening them I would have came to you!" She shouted.

This was true. Ana had no intention on keeping something she was never to wear. Someone as drab as her could never wear such a thing in her life. She could never get away with it, they would see right through her.

She picked up her letters and exited the parlor, leaving the Lord to do with the priceless artifacts Idelle had given her.

He took the boxes one by one. He knew exactly that Matthews had tricked her into buying these things. Taking the boxes, the lord had dropped one. Not only did the set fall out, but a note did as well. He picked up the paper and raised a brow when he realized it was addressed to him.

Ray,

Do not think he has tricked me into getting her this. Those three years you were gone we have become inseparable. She was, no, she is a true sister to me. She is loving and caring and just about everything I could ever want in a sister.

You should see the painting she drew of me. It is hanging in my room as of now. I've taught her all I could before I had to go back to my studies. Ray, everyone here has fallen for her wit and charm. She is beyond generous and caring.

She has given me hope, brother. As she should give you. Truly, do you despise that woman? Because the last one hurt you, that does not mean you can never fall in love again. I am not saying this because I desperately want to relieve the curse brought upon you. I did at first and it was foolish of me to think that way towards her.

That being said. I've arranged a ball. A masquerade, so you would not have to hide yourself. I've sent the invitations and the ball will begin three weeks from now. This will be her debut. The youngest cousin of ours: Ana Lorenzo.

With love,
Idelle

He stared at the letter. This cannot be happening. THIS WOMAN!

His hand met the smooth surface of the mahogany table in anger. He knew for sure, this will not end well.