Chapter XIX

Ana awoke in her room with her breakfast tray on the table. It was already midday! Yes, she slept late and very uncomfortable last night but, she'd think she'd wake up on time either way.

She needed to dust the paintings on the North wing that she has been putting off so that she may finish with the garden and with the West wing. Now she had time to finish at least half of the wing. She had at least time for that did she not? For at least half?

The sun was high in the sky, burning his skin as he worked along with his farmers. His plantation was growing and it was the biggest one in town. Yes, many did business with him but, they were too frightened to deal with him face to face. He knew very well on how they referred to him. The Beast. Not only did his face give him that title but so did his foul temper.

Nothing in his life is worth being cheerful upon.

His thoughts strayed constantly during work. And they strayed to Ana. He needed to do something with these persistent thoughts of his, they were troublesome.

He noticed a figure come out of his Keep. He watched as the girl filled a bucket with water and then hobbled towards the door again. This peaked his interest; what was she up to? Mayhap nothing important but, the voice at the back of his head told him to follow her. There was nothing wrong in taking a small intermission now was there?

"Cut the wheat after you're finished with this." He told his men. He also needed to check on the horses, he thought.

The Ana girl had gone inside, not noticing he was there at all. He was rather hurt, he would have at least like for her to notice as he is working. He groaned inwardly and shifted his thoughts. She was impossible.

Lord Lorenzo went inside and noticed, while he had been arguing with himself outside, she was already upstairs in the West wing. His brows furrowed. What business does she have in the West wing? For all he knows, no one goes in there; not even his servants. Alright, this peaked his interest more.

The bucket of water was heavy. Since she was a bit small, the bucket also touched the floor or, perhaps it was because of how heavy it was? Either way, she was tired and she had many steps to continue going. She needed the frames and the walls and she needed to sweep what would be left of the mess.

As she thought of what to do, she had stepped on the hem of her dress. She would have spilled the water and tripped on the stairs had not a strong arm had caught her and the bucket.

She looked, expecting it to be Steven or, rather, anyone other than the Lord.

"Thank you." She said, as shocked as she was.

Ana tried getting the bucket from his hands.

"I will carry it."

These words not only surprised her but also himself.

"What is this for?" He asked after a while of silence.

"I am going to wash the walls and dust the frames of the portraits. I've been putting it off for quite a while now." She told him.

This really came at a surprise for him. Why would she bother with it at all? After all, this place is not where many people dare go. As he walked beside her, he noticed how clean and new this part of his manor was now. He passes by here almost all the time and yet, while he was filled with rage and other emotions he did not notice how clean it had become.

There were no tattered portraits, no broken chairs, no broken tables, the extra portraits and paintings that were in storage were now hanging on the wall. He had to admit, this woman had a touch for decorating. Yes, she did everything she should not have but, he rather liked his new West wing.

"Are you really going to clean all of this?" he asked her once they reached their destination.

"Well, yes. Is this you offering your help, my Lord?" She raised a brow at him as she looked back to him.

He was in a tight spot, she could see it and it amused her. Would he really help her? Probably not. She turned her back to the Lord and took the washcloth from her shoulder and put it in the bucket of water.

"Ray." He said.

She was shocked at this. Was he . . .

"Call me Ray." He mentioned as he took the cloth from her hands.

Her heart fluttered inside her chest for reasons she knew not. This . . . was this the start of something new? Or was this feeling entirely improbable?