Chapter XVII

The Lord had left the gift in Ana's new room, which was across from his, that night. He was conflicted in his feelings for the woman and he was angered, for, she would never care for him; a beast. She was already being courted by the most eligible man in Worchester. The thought angered him. He shook his head and ran his fingers through his hair. This woman was insufferable! He likes her, he does not; he needed to make up his mind and Ana was not helping at all. Walking about just waiting to be attacked by him!

The night ran on and in the confines of his room he was pacing back and forth. He took another sip of his brandy and kept himself from thinking of taking Ana on a thrill of her lifetime. His body was in a raging fire and it wanted to consume him whole. He needed this fire to end and the only one to help him do so was Ana.

Before he realized, he had found himself at Ana's door. It would be easy, he thought. Very easy. He just stood there, not fully understanding what it was he was going to do now. His body was burning and he wanted, needed to take her.

He heard footsteps coming down the hall way and saw the small dim light of a candle. He took steps back until he was next to his door and not in front of Ana's.

"Oh. Master? Is something the matter?" It was Helen.

"I could not sleep, why are you up so late?" He asked her.

"The Lady needed some company. I came to fetch her some blankets; she feel asleep on the couch, Sir."

"You mean to say she is not in her room?"

"She is not. We were in the parlor, Sir."

She was saved, he thought. Any moment longer, he would have been in her room. He sighed. The lord made his way to the parlor when Helen disappeared. The door was opened and the light from the fire was bright. He saw the long black hair pooled over the arm of the couch and as he got closer, he noticed she was in her nightgown. His body responded to her automatically. He noticed her head was above her arms and her arms above the couch arm.

Her hair was long and black in the fire's light. He's never seen a thing like it. Small curls framed her face as she slept peacefully on the couch. She was an angel and the lord did not deny it. This creature was as small as a child compared to him. His body reacted naturally to hers and he groaned inwardly.

He wanted her. He needed her. There was nothing he'd like more than her. He curled his fists and stormed out of the parlor, slamming the door shut.

Ana awoke abruptly. What had happened? She looked around but no one was there. Helen had gone and she was all alone. Or had she been? Was she dreaming that someone was standing over her, watching her sleep?

She gasped. Or had the lord found her here? Oh, the horror! How could she be left alone like this? She should have never come here. She was only excited her Papa had sent her a letter and the small tokens. Her favorite was the rose. She took her box from the small table next to her and proceeded to leave. Ana was wondering if someone really was in the room with her. She knew Helen left her there for blankets but, that was only minutes ago. Ana placed her shawl over her shoulders and left the room.

Her feet touched the cold floor and she shivered. Ana clutched the fabric closer to her body and walked carefully in the hall, as of not to wake anyone. The darkened hallway was of no more fright to her. She did, after all, clean it all up. There was nothing she could not clean, she thought. She'd make a wonderful maid. There was nothing out of the ordinary as she walked to her room.

The doors had suddenly opened and before her was the dark eyes of the Lord. He stared her down and she could not look away, she froze there, staring back at him. It was when his eyes narrowed that she gained her mind back and hurried into her room. Once in closed doors, she let out a breath she never knew she was holding. Her heart pounded in her chest and she was not sure how to react. She swallowed. The Lord was frightening, massive, everything she is not.

He kept the doors to his room opened. She has scurried in her room as if she's seen the devil himself. He scoffed. How could something like her ever think . . . he shook her head. Never. Not with his marred face. He stared at the woman's door as if it were going to open. She would not come out, not when she knew he would be there.

Lord Lorenzo was still bothered about his cousins letter. He needed to know what it was they were doing. Does he know she is merely a farmers daughter? Had she lied like any other woman would? The thought enraged him. He took the letter form his pocket and burst through her door.

The small figure jumped and turned to him, her eyes with fear.

"For what reason was my cousin here and why was I not told the moment I arrived?" He glared at her.

She just stood there with a blank face.

"Answer me!" He shouted and she jumped.

"He was here on business. Something about the ships. We received his letter late and he was not expecting you to be gone." She whispered.

"And what sorcery have you done with my cousin that he seems to be very drawn to you?!"

"I know not what you mean." Ana tried speaking calmly.

He took the letter in his hands and showed it to her. She gasped.

"I did not think he would write me, Sir." She explained.

"Lies! Do not lie to me!"

"Do not shout at me as if I have done a crime!"

"You've lied to a wealthy man! You think I will not tell him of your status?!"

"I've not lied! He knew from the beginning I was just a farm girl!" This made the Lord quiet. "You may think you know me Sir, but you do not. Do not assume I am a social climber, I do not care for anyone of high status to marry into! I know my place and I do not need you to constantly remind me! I have that enough back home and I do not need to be reminded here! So, do not think you threaten me or intimidate me, yes, you frighten me but, you cannot destroy what little I have left of myself!"

Her chest heaved up and down. Tears were pooling in her eyes. She knew she was nothing but, to be told this by the lord was not right. Her chest felt like there was a pinch. She ran out of there, pushing the Lord aside and disappeared in the darkness of the house. She felt like nothing would ever be alright with her. Why does this happen to her?