Chapter XXV

"And one, two, three. One, two, three; turn. Ouch."

"Forgive me Dorian. I am so sorry." This was about the eighth time she stepped on his toe.

"It's alright. I thought you said you knew how to dance?" He teased.

"I do! It's just been a while since Idelle taught me that I have forgotten."

"Forgotten? I think not, you are doing this on purpose to get me to teach you even more." His teasing smile contaminated her and she began smiling as well.

"Do not think me a fool. I will not tolerate your foolishness today," she tilted her chin up.

Dorian chuckled, truly she was intriguing. You'd think he'd have enough of her, but she truly captured him. Ana is different from all the women he has seen. She's very respectable and knows when he is jesting, which does not happen with other women. They get rather offended, in fact. Ana is . . . she is the marriage type. A family woman. He shook his head. What nonsense is he speaking? If anything, his cousin would be interested. Perhaps it is time to ask?

"Well, you've astonished me completely Miss Ana. I am so very impressed with your stomping--I mean dancing." He let out a coy smile that plastered on Ana Matthews' face as well.

"You can never find anyone better," she said grinning at his game.

"Oh, I quite agree. Definitely." He laughed. He noticed a shadow looming at the door. "Cousin! Just the man I wanted to see. Excuse me Miss Matthews." He bowed and she curtsied.

Dorian did not know how his cousin would react, or if he even would. Ray was not one to show much emotion after the incident with both his parents and . . . her. It's not like he's had nothing to be sad about, or angry about; he did.

Ray took Dorian into his office, his new and improved office; clean of spider webs, and cobwebs, and broken furniture. Well, his second office. The first office room was the one Ray had taken Ana to on her first day here and that one had never suffered his wrath. Unfortunately, everything else did.

That aside, Ana kept entering his mind. Ray Lorenzo could not stop thinking of her at all. Especially when she was with his cousin Dorian. Oh, the man had everything. The look, the smile, the devilishly handsome laugh, and gentlemanly persona. Ray knew he could never be in competition with his only cousin Dorian.

Deep inside, Ray knew Dorian was horrified of him. Of his marred face. And yet, Dorian keeps coming while everyone else keeps their distance. He had not minded Dorian coming over before, but with Ana here, Ray Lorenzo cannot seem to keep his jealousy at bay. Dorian was obviously smitten with her, as is she. This bothered him. Ray Lorenzo did not like the attention he was giving Ana Matthews nor did he like how his sister was meddling in Ana's and Dorian's mind.

It was fine with just her, just Ana. Them two alone, it was all he liked. Keeping her here under his watch and care and being the only person she could talk to-- other than the maids. He placed his hand on his face. There was, in no way that Ray Lorenzo could be jealous. Envy he understood, but jealousy? This was a mess. It was the chit that made him feel this way. If he had never done anything, he could have left them to the pack of wolves. But, Ray Lorenzo, jealous? The stupidest thing on this earth would be exactly that.

"Ray, I have been meaning to ask you about Miss Matthews and I will not beat around the bush; is she or is she not your betrothed?" Dorian asked him.

Ray should have known this was coming. The letters he sent to her were to woo her. Ray raised a glass to his lips and drank down the liquor. Drowning out his maddening anger.

"She is not." The words left his mouth scarred, as if he had committed a sin.

Ana Matthews was not someone to be toyed with, but the thing was as innocent as a doe. She is beautiful and can be easily butchered. Ray understood this, that is why he knows to let it go, let her go. Nothing good can come from women he did not trust.

"Than, you must not mind me making advances toward her, do you?" Dorian proceeded to ask.

This angered Ray Lorenzo in a way he did not understand. That innocent, chit can be easily broken by him and yet, Ray Lorenzo did not want her to stray from him. He had wanted her--still does.

"I do mind," he told his cousin; locking his gaze with his own.

Ana was contempt with today. Having Dorian around was the same as having Idelle here. The games, and the fun, and the cheerfulness; it was all exciting for her. Ana had been lonely for a while. She still felt it, but Dorian had a way--like Idelle--to make that loneliness disappear. It was not like things were dreary in the manor. It was just the way things were. Is it her fault she's been captured but a ruthless, beastly man? No. Of course not. It was not like it was planned.

Ana sighed. She was walking in the gardens, smelling the fresh roses in the summer were beautiful.

Ana wondered if it was too late for her to wed? She shook her head. Why on earth would anyone want to marry her? She was only twenty-one and a maid. No one important. Besides, she knows not anyone who'd wish to marry her from her village, if she could ever go back. Why the sudden thought of marriage? She did not know.

The gardens calmed her a bit, making her forget about her idiotic idea of getting married. From there, she did not know why her thoughts strayed towards the Lord. There were times when he was not rude. He was kind and sweet, the reason he did not show that side of him was unknown to her, but she did enjoy watching him smile. She's only seen it once and it was graceful. Ray Lorenzo was flawless, he was strong and, at times, gentle. Ana wanted to know what was behind his nature of being so malicious, and yet, she couldn't bring herself to ask any of the maids.

Her thoughts came to a halt when a frustrated Dorian came to view. He had not noticed her yet and she wasn't sure whether to announce her presence or to keep herself hidden.