Chapter XXIV

It was busy in the manor after Lord Lorenzo confiscated Idelle's gifts. Helen and Mary were here and there dusting the place, which was not much since Ana had already done that before the movement of the furniture and portraits.

Ana could not ask what all the fuss was about because everyone was busy and she did not want to bother them. She offered to help as well, but they had sent her away telling her that no Lady was to help clean.

So, she decided to spend her time in the library. Ana had not found where Idelle had hidden her story yet. She really wanted to see the ending, there was nothing more important than the ending! There was going to be a reckoning when Idelle comes back, Ana will make sure of it.

Ana heard the shuffling outside the room and the angered Lord. Mayhap they did need her help. She did not know why everyone was in such a fuss, but she'd definitely help. Ana placed the book on the table beside her and proceeded to open the doors to the library. Lord Lorenzo was still with the servants, shouting at them.

When he turned to face her; "There you are! I've no time for your games. Martha, get her to the seamstress."

"Wait just one moment,"

"A moment we do not have. Now, get going."

"No. Tell me why I must go to a seamstress?" Ana asked him.

"Because my dear sister has planned a masquerade and you are to be the center of attention." He said with anger in his eyes.

Ana did not understand why he must comply with Idelle's childish thoughts. Yet, Idelle does have her way with getting everyone around her perfect, delicate finger. Idelle's charm can be very hypnotic.

"Must I attend?" She asked him in a whisper.

"If I am to attend, you must as well," he said, his face completely covered with anger that was all meant for her.

"Very well."

The rest of the day seemed absolutely busy and tiring. Ana was not meant for the beautiful gowns or the priceless jewelry. She felt as though she were in disguise from her true self: Ana Matthews, the farm girl. She did not mind being known as a farm girl; what she did not wish was for Idelle's name to be spread with rumors. Ana knew how hurtful rumors could be and imagine so for a Lady. Yes, true, Idelle had blessed Ana with a thoughtful gifts and a title, but it would all be gone when her debt has been paid. And for all she knew, it could be years more. No, not debt, her life. Her life belongs to the Lord now; how could she forget?

She could try many things to get away, but the good in her would not let her do it. Being someone not honorable was not in her, no matter how she tried; well, not like she had tried. But, there was nothing in her that would make her do it.

Ana put down her book and stared at the ceiling. There were so many things swirling her mind and she just wanted peace. Ana did not know what will be expected of her; she knew how to dance and read, and play music, but she did not know whom Idelle had invited to this masquerade ball or how a ball is. She's never danced with anyone other than Idelle! How could Ana herself dance with a man? The embarrassment she'd cause to the Lord and Idelle. As much as she tried not to, she couldn't help it. Idelle may not see anything wrong with this, but Lord Lorenzo and herself do.

The doors to the library opened and she placed her attention to the small maid girl before her.

"Miss, you have a visitor," she said in the most smallest voice.

"Who?" Ana asked.

"He said to keep it as a surprise," she said.

Ana crouched to her level and gave her a playful look. "Well then, I must find out who this mystery man is, don't I?"

The little girl giggled and showed her where he was. Ana really did not know what to expect. The only man that came to mind was Lord Dorian, but he was days away. He had left months ago only to return to see her? She could not help but get a small tingle in her stomach. It is only know that men seem to be taking an interest in her.

The little maid girl, Gretel, led her to the doors leading outside into the garden. And there was only one man who loved the company of flowers as she did.

Ana saw the broad shoulders and black hair of the man, and his brown trousers along with black riding boots. The curtain flowing with the wind did not let her see the man's face, but she had an idea of whom it was.

"Dorian!" she shouted and sprinted to him.

He laughed and swung her in his arms. She was comfortable like this with him. He was more than just a man; he is a good friend of hers.

"It is wonderful to see you! How are you here? Business?" She asked excitedly with Dorian still holding her.

He released her, "Yes, in fact, I am. But it is not what you think. Idelle asked me to be your guide in the masquerade."

She smirked and raised a brow. "Oh? The Great Lord Dorian is now a planner of great dances?"

"You doubt me!"

"I do," She crossed her arms.

"I am here for you. To help you prepare. Ray will handle the dance, I will handle you."

This brought a small smile to her face. "And if I say I do not need you?"

His smile widened, "Then I will not listen. After all, my orders came from my dearest and only cousin."

Ana's smile grew, but then shrunk. "Dorian, forgive me for not writing back, there was . . . an issue I could not avoid."

His smile reached his eyes. But, before he could forgive her, a cough startled them both.

Ana noticed Lord Lorenzo's angry features as he stood there with his hands behind his back. "I was not expecting you here so early."

"Ray!" Dorian instantly went to him. As if he was not aware of his anger. It was not a moment later that she noticed a small smile on the Lord's face.

Beautiful, she thought.