Chapter Twelve: Gwibb's Bridge

Running from Admers was like running from the clouds. It never ended, but they knew what they had to do. They couldn't let the Admers capture them, because Marealis needed them to use the magic from the book. They just needed a way to steer clear of the Admers.
Jacob kept remembering about Kroyme Vlander Iliad and how he remembered that he wrote the prophecy in the book. Jacob also couldn't keep from worrying about his family. He had already been thrown off the crown and probably be imprisoned. Jacob never really cared for thinking about the road ahead for he felt so worried on what to do next.

Looking at map he got from his satchel, he had noticed that the road ahead was filled with water. Jacob remembered how Mila and especially Welk had bad experiences with water.
"Why don't we just go around it?" Welk said wiping dust off his shoulder.
"We can't go around a river." Mila said eyeing the map.
"We're just gonna have to get across."

They came across the river in smoke filled bank. They could see rigid rocks start to form and the water rushing super fast. Mila touched the water and her hand went purple. It was ice cold. The river formed into a trench that was about 50 feet deep.
To their luck, there was a bridge above the trench that was about a meter long. It was made out of rickety wood which looked dangerous if you steeped on. The rope that held it up was unwinding at the seems.
They had only one way across.
"I'll go first." Jacob said edging his foot towards the bridge. He moved his foot and he almost stepped on it when something popped out from under the bridge.
It was a small creature about three feet. It had a huge beard and large pointy ears. It's eyes were small and old and it wore a large stained cloak.
"What der ya think yer doin on me bridge?" It said.
"We just have to get over the trench." Mila said trying to push it out of the way.
"What are you, may ask?" Asked Welk trying to get closer to the creature.
"I'm Gwibb, and I'm guard of dis her bridge. What makes ya think ya can cross?"
"If you let us pass we can leave."
"Well yer gonna have ter leave oderwise, cause I let ya cross ma bridge."
Mila pushed the thing out of the way and started to walk on the bridge. Gwibb jumped up and down with rage and bit Mila on the forearm. She shaked him off and clanked him in the head. Welk grabbed him by his arms so he couldn't move.
"What'r ya doin, pu' me down."
"Shut up, or will throw you off, we just need to find Marelais."
"Marelais, da guy wit da Admers, I know where he his. I could help you If you want?"
They were reluctant, but they accepted and Welk put Gwibb on leash so he could show them the way. They walked for about an hour and rested under a tree. Night came faster than what they expected so they spent the night, and woke up in early morning.

The woke up the next morning in rain. They were soaking wet and Gwibb was gone. Jacob soon realized this was the last day to find the book. They ran from the ran, but still kept a sharp eye on for Gwibb. They ran to what surprised them. They ran into the trench again, but the bridge was missing.
There stood Gwibb, small and wet, and behind him a army of Admers. The Admers seized them and they couldn't fight back. The moment they touched Mila, Jacob, and Welk they were paralyzed. The Admers carried them away threw the rain and Jacob watched as Gwibb danced in glee to have his bridge back to himself.