Chapter 47: Pride

After several minutes of my watching the mysterious cloud of creatures, one of the centuries notices them. There is quite the ruckus amongst them, with much shouting in Kudzul. They are frightened by the non-birds. One of them dashes off to notify command.

The thundering clank of 5,000 soldiers about-facing jars my ears and I stand to get a better look. The elven army is no longer focused intently on the dwarven gate. They have turned to face the woods. The murmur of hoof-beats can be heard to my right and I turn.

A rag-tag group of maybe 200 Lakemen are riding through the elf-ranks, with Bard at their head. One breaks off from the rest, careening towards the mountain. He short blonde man skids to a stop at the base of the mountain and looks up. I stand on my tip-toes to get a better view of the situation.

"Dwarves of Erebor!" He calls, "We have word of an orcan army's approach! They come from the Southeast and are, perhaps, an hour's march away!"

The centuries look about, desperately confused. None of them make a move to speak, so I take it upon myself.

"You have been heard sir!" I call, "Would you have us join forces?"

He looks stunned for a moment, no doubt having expected a dwarvish growl as an answer. "Aye ma'm! Our scouts say the orcs be at least 10,000 strong! How many do you keep in the mountain?"

The breath is knocked out of me. "Ten thousand..." I murmur, clinging to the railing for support.

There is to be a war after all.

"We have 500 warriors. I will report this to the King Under the Mountain immediately!" I call, regaining my composure.

This would be an excellent moment to start a rumor of an elf in the mountain and inform my brother of my saftey.

"Aa' i'sul nora lanne'lle (good luck)!" I finish.

I turn away from the edge, marching off to find Thorin and the others.

I do not care if I am supposed to avoid them. This is an emergency!

However, as soon and I start down the stairs, the century returns with the royalty in tow. The dwarves on watch scramble over each other to explain that a man had come to talk to them, although none of them understood him. There is much gravelly shouting in Kudzul.

I hang back until the talk dies down before speaking. "Thorin! I was up here when the man approached."

"What is it that those miserable little lake rats want now? Do they not already have my jewel and my heart?! Cannot they be satisfied?!" The king mutters in anger.

"This is not of their doing, my lord. An army of orcs mass in the east and they seek your aid in fighting them." I explain, trying to be diplomatic.

"First they wish to be my enemies, and now they seek friendship? Do they think I have no pride? No self-respecting dwarf would fight side-by-side with an elf!" He booms, "Besides, it is no orc army! Simply a pack of 50, maybe 60 at most. They have been pursuing us ever since we set out on this journey."

"The man said army, my leige." I continue. "About 10,000 strong by their estimation. They are grossly outnumbered with only 5,000 elves and 200 men."

"It is not our battle." Thorin scoffs. "We have no reason to spill my people's blood for this."

Dain cuts him off. "Do not delude yourself! It is surely an army come for you! Azog is relentless and he comes at us again."

Annoyance pricks in the back of my mind.

I don't like listening to that murderer's gravelly accent.

"My father is right!" I agree reluctantly. "You should be glad that the elves and men are willing to fight with you! This isn't their war, it's yours."

"NO." Thorin yells. "I say no, and you best agree with my proclamation."

"Thorin please!" I beg, thinking of Bilbo and my brother. "Everyone outside these walls will be slaughtered!"

Thorin meets my eyes and understands my meaning. "Everyone outside these walls is a traitor to me and deserves death."

"There are children in the refugee camp! Why should Tilda die?!"

"Perhaps Bard should have thought of this before he tried to rob me. If you say another word against me, child, I would have you follow the halfling to your death."

This is madness! Its not as if the orcs won't siege Erebor once the other armies are dead! Then they will be backed into a corner and all be slaughtered. Thorin is a fool.

The royalty slowly files away. As Kili passes me he whispers in my ear, "Perhaps Dain will have his war after all."

My father is the last to leave, and takes my hand. I force a loving smile to mask the burning desire to run him through with my knife.

"Do not worry, my daughter." He purrs. "I will make Thorin see reason. It would be dishonorable to your mother if I abandoned her people like this." His beard rumples and I assume he smiles at me.

I nod in understanding. "Do you think is best that someone inform the elves and men of Thorin's decision?" I ask.

"Aye, I'll send one of my men down soon."

"Father, if you wouldn't mind, I think it might be more diplomatic to send me."

I'm lying through my teeth right now. Tharanduil will not be glad to see me.

"I'm certainly the half-way point between elves and dwarves."

Uncertainty flashes across Dain's face for a moment, but he laughs heartily and instructs me to go. I set off immediately, handing Kili's coat to a century to return to him.