Chapter 43: Are You Listening?

I wake with a start, unaware of what it was that pulled me from sleep. Kili's arms are still around me and he is snoring softly. Well rested and with the adrenaline of the night before gone, I am suddenly consumed with overwhelming guilt. It is early morning,

I have more than distracted him for his shift.

I feel sick at the thought of what I have done. Suddenly, I don't want his arms around me.

I'm a traitor to him.

My entire existence disgusts me. I don't regret what Bilbo has done, but I went to far. In the heat of the moment I was swept away and deepened my treachery.

It was real, what I did with Kili was real and I meant it. But, if he finds out, I doubt I will be able to convince him of that.

My nervous conscience forces me to leave before he wakes up. I gently slip from his arms and tip-toe across the room. I pull my dress of over my head and sneak out of his room, then down the hall to mine.

I'm surprised to find Bilbo sleeping on my couch. He wakes, however, at my clumsiness when I trip on the hem on my dress. He opens his eyes to see a tossled haired, wrinkled-dressed girl scrambling to her feet.

"Oh thank god you're okay Larien!" He exclaims, jumping up. "I thought we might have been discovered, when I returned you were still gone and I assumed the worst."

I force a smile.

"Your end was successful I hope." I respond.

"Aye. Bard and the Elven King were there. I spoke with them and gave them the stone, just as we planned."

Elven King!

"You didn't mention me did you?!"

"Oh goodness no! I figured it would be bad to mention one of his escaped prisoners." The hobbit chuckles. "Well, besides the dwarves and I... But another elf did approach me afterwards as I left camp."

"Legolas?!"

"He said he was the king's son and wanted to know if you were alright."

"You told him I was, didn't you?"

"No, I denied any knowledge of you, you said yourself that I shouldn't tell the king. Why would a prince be any better?" The hobbit says, sheepishly.

I sigh. "I suppose you couldn't have known. Legolas is my brother and my closest friend. In the future, you can trust him."

The hobbit nods.

"But we did well. I don't believe we've been caught and- Did you hear that?" He stops and listens. Hurried footsteps outside. "The watch shift doesn't change for another hour and a half. Who could be up this early?"

"Perhaps someone is coming here! Quick, blow out the candle. Shh!"

Bilbo complies and we sit in silence as the footsteps approach, accompanied by voices. There are two voices with thick Kudzul accents. I instantly recognize the voice of my father.

"This is luckier than I could have expected. You're sure that you saw her?"

"Certainly my lord, I saw your Ollphéist (Mutant) run from his quarters only a few minuets ago. Rumpled hair and dress... That can only mean one thing."

I hear my father's gravelly laugh and I press my ear closely to the door, desperate to hear the next sentence.

"What is means is that I have truly come into a bit of luck with my daughters. Once Thorin is out of the way, I own the Durin boys. And this war can even make it look like an accident..."

I shiver in revulsion.

He called me a mutant. My ada(daddy) is using me?!

Bilbo is similarly horrified in the minuets after our eavesdropping.

"'Thorin... out of the way!' Larien we have to do something!" He cries.

My ada(daddy) is using me.

"Larien, are you listening to me? He want's Thorin dead."

My father's word's echo in my ears.

I own the Durin boys.