Chapter 28: Pony Theives

We crouch in the bushes, examining the scene. Apparently the people of Laketown remembered their horses and placed two men in front of the stable to guard them. I use the term "stable" loosely. There is a large, fenced in yard with a three-sided shed in the back for shelter.

"This ought to be easy enough." Whispers Kili to his brother. "They guard horses much more closely back home."

They smirk and share a knowing glance.

"Those men are barely even armed. You can distract them long enough for me to open the gate."

The conspirators smirk again. Kili nudges me gently in the ribs.

"Which one do you want Lari-sar?"

I look around the yard there had to be at least two dozen horses to choose from.

"I wouldn't even know where to start."

"Well," Kili teases, "If I were you, I'd start with something you could actually ride, one of those little ponies would probably do nicely."

I nod and consider this. After looking for a moment, one catches my eye.

"I want that splotchy one." I say, pointing.

Kili chuckles, "You mean the paint?"

I nod, a little embarrassed at my ignorance.

"Well, your wish is my command." Kili jokes, jumping up with an exaggerated bow.

I suppress a laugh and the two brothers slink away to get into position. I climb up the first limbs of a tree to get a better look at the action that was about to unfold.

Kili burst out of the bushes screaming at the top of his lungs. The men jump back in a panic, brandishing their spears. Kili spins around, hopping from foot to foot, waving his arms.

"Bees! Oh god! They're everywhere!" He screams, swatting at the air and running towards the guards.

I choke, trying not to laugh and give everything away. The men lower their spears and back up, neither of them want to be stung.

"Bees! BEEEES!" Kili keeps up the act, screeching and jumping and flailing until he's right next to the fence.

Meanwhile, Fili sneaks around the back of the stable building, slowly and quietly and arrives at the lock. He spares no time trying to unlock it, instead picking up a shovel and breaking the rusted chain. Only now do the guards realize their mistake. Kili ceases his panicked rantings, smiles, gives the guards a little wave, and leaps the fence, out of their grasp. Fili roused the horses, causing a stampede of the larger ones as they run to escape the yard. Now, the dwarves dash to the shed, grabbing saddlebags, ropes and everything else of the walls. The guards run off in opposite directions, chasing runaway horses. Suddenly, Kili drops his armful of supplies and takes off running across the field.

What on earth got into... Oh!

Unlike the other small horses, my pony had just bolted from the yard and is running off. However, Kili is hot on its trail, jumping the fence to cut it off at the treeline.

There's no way he could... He did.

The brunette dwarf slides around the corner, taking my pony by surprise. The beast rears on its hind-legs in fright, starting to turn around. But it's too slow, Kili dashes to its side and vaults onto its back. The pony bucks again, leaping back and forth in panic, but the crazy dwarf hangs on. He clings tightly to the horse's neck as it tries to shake him off. The poor thing quickly tires itself out and he loosens his grip. Before I know it, Kili and the horse are trotting back to the stable like the best of friends. I run out to meet them.

"That was incredible!" I shout, skidding to a stop at the fence.

"It was nothing. Fili and I used to ride horses all the time."

"That wasn't just riding horses! You just ran down and jumped on a frightened pony, bareback! That was amazing!"

"You said you wanted this one," He says, patting the pony's neck, "I wasn't about to let it get away."

Fili walks over with two properly saddled ponies. One is red and fluffy with a long mane, and the other is all brown except for white, sock-like markings on its front ankles.

"Okay Larien, stop gushing. My brother doesn't need any help with his big head." Fili jokes. "But we better get going, who knows when those guards will be back, and with reinforcements I don't doubt."

"Yeah, we better get this one saddled first." Kili responds. "I don't want to get off just yet, in case she bolts. Will you bridal her for me Lari-sar?"

I'm clueless.

"Err- I don't know if I should..." I whisper.

Apparently they don't hear because Fili hands me a bridal.

So many buckles! How will I ever...

"You've never put a bridal on a horse before, have you?" Kili says gently, reading my mind. I shake my head, blushing. "Here, hand me the reigns. Now grab the larger loop and slide it up over her head. Just like that, excellent." He smiles, and tightens the buckle around my pony's neck.

After a lot of tightening, loosening, coaxing, and confusion, I finally bridal and saddle my first horse.

"See, that wasn't so bad." Kili grins and puts a arm around my shoulders. "Ready to ride her?"

However, we have been dallying too long and hear a shout behind us. The reinforcements are here. Six men with swords are running towards us. Before I know it, Kili is swung back up into my pony's saddle.

"Quick! Grab my hand!" He shouts.

I reach up and he easily tosses me in front of him on the horse. Fili rides off, Kili's horse trailing behind him. "Hold on tight Lari-sar!" Kili shouts. With one hand firmly around my waist, Kili snaps the reigns and the pony leaps forward. Faster, faster, faster we go until the stable and men are far out of sight. The pony's jolting leaps become more rhythmic and slow until we eventually come to a halt several miles away.