Chapter 7: Language Barriers

It has been slow-going, what with Kili's injury. He limps painfully along, leaning heavily on his brother as I walk alongside them. However, it is difficult to feel sorry for him because of his incessant tormenting. I'm not sure if he is delirious, or just this much of a dork.

 "Can I call you 'Lar?'" he asks.

"No." I respond.

 "What about 'rie?'"

"No."

"Why not? I rather like it."

 "Because my name is Larien, that's why."

"Or I could call you 'Lari'"

"Or you could actually, I don't know, use my real name."

"Nah, that takes all the fun out of it. I think I quite like 'Lari'"

"No."

"Sorry Lari, the council has voted and we have decided to re-name you.

"And who exactly is on this council?"

"Only the most well respected dwarves... Me, myself and I."

"Thought so." I say, speeding up my pace to walk away in a fake pout.

He could be so annoying. But it was kinda funny... Who am I kidding? He's hilarious.

I truly smile for the first time since I had been taken to the dungeons.

"Come on Lari-sar, be a good sport!" He calls from behind me.

I turn around to look at him. "Lari-what?" I ask.

He looks at his brother before continuing. "Lari-sar. I think it has a nice ring to it." He says with a mischievous smirk. His brother simply smiles knowingly.

"What does 'sar' mean?" I demand.

"It means grumpy." Kili says, still grinning.

If he wasn't already injured, I'd have half a mind to shoot him myself!

Regardless, something about his ridiculous, teasing demeanor causes  the corners of my lips to twitch upwards.

We walk for a while longer. Then we come to a stop at the edge of a huge lake.

"The Lonely Mountain." A dwarf whispers in awe. We all stand for a moment and stare at it, huge, looming not far off.

"How do we get there?" Bilbo asks.

"We are going to need a boat." States the white-haired dwarf.

Woah?! Really! Hadn't noticed... Larien you really need to take the sarcasm down a notch.

Thorin looks around. A little ways off, partially hidden by mist, Thorin spots a dock that appears to have a boat tied to it.

"There's our ride." He says, pointing.

Our party walks to the abandoned boat. Only problem, it isn't actually abandoned.

"Who goes there?" A tall man says, stepping from the mist.

The dwarves freeze.

"We are merchants and tradesmen who wish for a ride to Laketown." The white haired dwarf says, taking a step forward.

"Tradesmen huh? You seem rather... worn to be tradesmen." The man asks, unconvinced. "Besides, no one gets in or out without paperwork and I'm guessing you don't have any." The dwarf pauses, unsure of what to say next.

They are horrible liars.

"Paperwork? The last time we were here that was no requirement. How times have changed." I say, trying to remedy the situation.

"Ah, yes they have. However my mind has not. Find yourself another boat." The man snaps, stepping onto his boat.

"I see." Thorin mutters. "You have a family, do you not?"

"This is true, two girls and a boy. What of it?" the man says, turning.

"I'm sure they could use some nice things and as for you, your coat has seen better days." Throin continues.

"You will pay well I assume." The man asks.

"Very." Thorin says, patting his pocket.

"Fine. My name is Bard, and your is?" The man asks.

"No one of consequence." Thorin replies.

Bard nods, evidently willing to overlook our shady operation for the promised pay. We all climb onto the barge, one by one. Fili braces his brother's arm to help him across and they walk to the back of the barge. I look down at the swirling black water, far too aware of my inability to swim. And then I look at the barge a good two feet from the dock. I gingerly reach out my toes to try to step on but it is too far. I try to jump to it but my foot slips, and I land with a hard thud on my chest. I'm hanging half way off the barge with my toes dipped in the water.

So graceful...

"Somebody help poor Lari-sar!" Kili calls, laughing at my predicament. I shoot him a look that could kill as Bilbo drags me to my feet.

"You alright miss?" He asks.

"Quite, thank you Bilbo." I say, smiling. "And please, call me Larien." I say with a pointed look at Kili who simply smiles.

I stand at the edge of the barge as Bard pushes off. A moment later I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn see Fili's eyes boring into me. "Larien, may I speak with you over there?" He whispers, pointing.

"Of course, what is it?" I respond.

"Kili is a hopeless romantic." Fili begins, I'm nervous to see what happens next. "He is immature and believes is ridiculous things like 'love at first sight.' But no matter how stupid I think he is being, I want him to be happy. This whole 'Lari-sar' situation just made your life much more difficult."

Needless to say, I'm stunned and confused. "What 'Lari-sar situation'? I didn't think there was any 'situation' besides the fact I might slap him if he keeps this up."

"Do you even know what 'sar' means?"

I thought it meant grumpy but apparently I was mistaken.

I shake my head.

"It literally means perfect. But, in our language, it's much more than that. He cares deeply for you. Don't forget that... Because if you break his heart you've got a big brother and a band of 13 dwarves to deal with, understand? For your sake, I hope you make him very happy."

The threat rushes by me, I'm too caught up in my giddy excitement. As much as I am loathe to admit it, I believe in 'ridiculous things like love at first sight' too. My heart flutters in my chest. I walk, as if in a trance to the bow of the boat where Kili sits.

He likes me. He really does. Fili thinks this in no light matter. He knows Kili well, so his word is good.

I sit down next to Kili. "Hey Lari-sar." He whispers as I sit next to him.

"Gi mellin." I whisper back, scooting closer as snuggling into his shoulder.

He tenses up at first, but quickly relaxes and wraps an arm around my shoulders. "What does that mean?" He asks.

"The same thing as 'sar.'" I whisper into his ear.

Let him figure that one out.