Chapter 39: Temptation

I run down the hallway and do not stop until I'm in my bedroom. The great, carved door slams behind me and I sink to the floor. I don't cry. I just lay there, motionless on the cold stone floor. Thoughts and memories swirl through my mind. I have no idea how long I stayed in my despondency, but after several hours I crawl into bed, and fall into a fitful sleep.

The dragon sickness haunts my dreams. I startle awake more than once in the night. When sunlight finally shines in the window, I transfer from the nightmare of my imagination to the horrors of reality. The armies of Mirkwood and Laketown stand at our doorstep. From the window I see an ocean of golden armor.

I straighten my wrinkled dress and buckle on the sheaths of my knives. I had not carried the blades recently, but in the den of mad men preparing for war, one can never be to careful. I peek under my bed before I leave.

The heart of the mountain is still there. I run my fingers over its beautiful surface.

Its a shame that we should give away something so beautiful. I should like to keep it. What do the men need it for anyway-

"No!" I shout suddenly, snatching my hand fro the stone as if burned.

I scramble away from the Arkenstone.

No one is immune to this madness.

I toss a cloth over the gem before shoving it back under my bed. Regaining composure I walk from my room. The great hall is filled with the preparations of war. Chain mail clicks and battle axes are sharpened. Even with all these dwarves, the army is outnumbered six to one.

None of them will live if I fail.

I hurry through the masses of warriors, unable to meet any of their eyes. The gaurds step aside this time, allowing me into the meeting. I walk silently across the room and stand next to Bilbo. My father and Thorin are still where we left them last night.

Did they even go to sleep last night?

They are explaining the plans of last night to Fili and Kili. Kili tries to make eye-contact across the room but I cannot meet his gaze. There is a slamming of doors and Nori rushes in.

"My king!" He cries, kneeling at Thorins feet. "Bard of Laketown is at the gate! He would speak with you."

"Tell him that he, and his army, can go to hell!" Thorin growls, getting to his feet. "I will not bargain with robbers and thieves."

Nori nods and starts to walk off.

"Wait, Nori! Wait!" Bilbo pleads. He jumps in front of the King Under ther Mountain. "Thorin, do not be so rash! You gave a promise!"

The hobbit looks into Thorin's eyes, begging him to see reason. And, for a moment, I thought that Thorin would change his mind. But, he brushes Bilbo aside and keeps walking.

"Thorin!" Bilbo shouts, scrambling along beside him, clutching at his arm. "You have won the mountain! Is that not enough?!"

The king stops and pries the hobbit's hand off his arm.

"Now, we must defend it."

Thorin leaves the room, his nephews and my father follow.

"You cannot see what you have become!" Bilbo calls after them, sinking to his knees.

Kili throws a glance my way before the door shuts. Bilbo kneels on the floor, shaking. We are alone. I walk to him and put a hand on his shoulder.

"I- I thought that I could make him see reason." He whispers in a quivering voice.

"Do not worry Bilbo. It will all be over soon. Thorin will return to himself." I respond, standing up.

I hold out my hand to him and help the hobbit to his feet.

He nods solemnly and says, "They will both come back to us."

As we walk towards the door, I hear the clank of chain mail.

"Are you wearing armor?" I ask Bilbo.

He blushes. "Aye, Thorin gave it to me... It is worse because they are not completely gone. They are still themselves sometimes. It hurts to watch."

We walk in relative silence up to my room where the preparations for tonight begin.