Chapter 16: Desperate Measures

"Legolas!" I shout, and lunge to hug his waist.

He lowers his sword and sinks to his knees, enveloping me in a tight hug. We just sit there for a while, relishing in the fact that the other is alive.

"I missed you hanar (brother)." I whisper into his shirt.

"I missed you too mell (dear one.)" He murmurs into my hair, then he releases me. "What did I tell you about maces? You can't let yourself get cornered." He reprimands with a hint of anger in his voice.

"I'm sorry, I tripped." I explain, hanging my head. "I don't have your balance hanar (brother)."

"Hey, you may not be good for an elf, but you're not half bad for a dwarf." He says with a smirk, trying to cheer me up. "They couldn't have lasted half as long as you."

He gestures to Fili and Kili in the corner. Then I remember. I grab Legolas's hand and drag him to Kili's bedside. I look into Fili's eyes and see unshed tears sparkling there.

"He won't wake up anymore Larien, and his eyes are blood-shot." he whispers to me. I turn around.

"Legolas, you can heal. Save him!" I say to my brother. Legolas never approached the bed. He remains at a distance from the dwarves and shakes his head.

"No, I will not give life-force to a dwarf." He objects sternly.

"He's dying Legolas! He was shot with a poisoned arrow! You can't just let him die! He's my friend!" I beg.Although my mind is clouded with desperation, I am still able to make the decision not to tell Legolas about my feelings for Kili. I do not think he would take kindly to them."You couldn't be as heartless as to-"

My brother interrupts, "He's a dwarf Larien! It will be no huge loss to the world. You will understand someda-"

But it is my turn to interrupt, "I'm a dwarf you heartless nadorhuan (bastard)!" I scream at him. "Yet you saved my life! Why is my breath more valuable than his?! Amin feuya ten' lle (you disgust me.)" I spit in revulsion.

Legolas takes a step towards me, "Neithig (little sister), you're different. They're dwarves mell (dear one), I couldn't possibly-" He stammers, surprised at my outburst.

"Why couldn't you?! Can't you just put aside your petty little grudges to save an innocent's life?!" I scream at him again.

"Larien, you're troubled, come, I'll take you somewhere safe." He says, regaining his composure.

"How can you be so calm?! Kili's dying and you want to take me away from him?! You can't do that. I promised I wouldn't let him die. I swore. Legolas, I don't want to do this but you leave me no choice!" I shout and lower a hand to my dagger.I know that I could never beat Legolas in a fight, besides, I can't hurt him or he couldn't help Kili. So, I lift my curved blade to my own throat. "Save him or I'll kill myself." Legolas starts to run to me but I shout, "Stop! Stop right where you are or I swear I'll slit my throat!" Legolas stops, but then starts to creep closer. "Do not doubt me in this brother. I will do it. If Kili dies no one will vouch for me among the dwarves, I will not return to Mirkwood prisons." I snap and press the blade into my neck.The tip pierces my skin and a drop of blood creeps to the surface of my skin and slides down my neck. This stops Legolas in his tracks.

"Ok neithig (little sister), I will do it. Just, lower the knife." He coaxes.

"I will not lower this knife until you save him." I retort, pressing the shimmering metal harder into my neck and prompting another droplet of blood to jump from my skin. Legolas looks at me for a moment before turning to Fili.

"Do you have any athelas?" he asks.

Fili nods, "We've already tried them to lower his fever, but it didn't help."

"Fetch them, I can use them properly." Legolas grumbles. Fili rushes off the grab the athelas from the cupboard as the door to the cellar creaks open.

"Hello?" A young voice whispers.

It's Bard's children. They mustn't have left the house completely. I breathe a sigh of relief; I was worried that some other orcs from the party may have attacked them. The boy steps into the room first, followed by his two sisters. Tilda looks around the room and screams. Her eyes are locked on the knife at my neck.

I want so desperately to drop the knife and tell her it was all a game, a trick, but I can't. Legolas needs to believe this if Kili is going to live. And really, I'm not so sure I wouldn't slice my throat.

I can't say anything to the little girl to I just force a sad smile and stare straight ahead. Fili is back now, shoving the herbs into my brother's hands. Legolas sighs and looks back at me as if to check if I am really serious. My tears tumble from my eyes and drops of blood continue to seep from my neck as a show of just how serious I really am. He turns away and rubs the athelas in between his palms, murmuring something in the ancient tongue.

Legolas presses the flowers to Kili's leg wound and starts to chant. Time slows as the words tumble from his lips. Energy, the air is practically crackling with it. Every hair on my body stands on end and a shiver dashes up my spine. The longer Legolas chants, the more color returns to Kili's face. My eyes are glued on his face, hoping against hope he will wake up. Then Kili's fingers twitch. Now, his head turns to the other side as if he is dreaming. He squirms a bit, like a sleeping child. And then, his eyes flutter open. A breath I didn't know I was holding escapes my lips and I send a silent prayer of thanks up to the gods.

But I was too hasty. Kili howls and arches his back, trashing about like a mad man. His brother throws himself on top of him, trying to hold him down to Legolas can continue, but he is shaken off. It takes every ounce of self-control I have to keep my feet planted and not run to Kili's side. I have to stay put with my threat if I want him to be healed. Bard's son rushes to Fili's aid, and then the oldest daughter. Together, the three of them struggle to hold Kili's writhing form still enough for Legolas to work, but they manage. After several agonizing minuets creep by Kili's tossing starts to lessen and his skin becomes a healthy color again. Legolas staggers back from him, breathing heavily.

"I have done all I can do." He pants. I lower my dagger and let it clatter to the floor. I stumble to Legolas and hug him. He stiffens for a moment, but eventually places gentle hands around me.

"Diola lle(thank you.)" I breathe. Legolas's chest still rises and falls quickly from the exertion.

"Larien, promise me you will never threaten me like that again." He says, furious but gentle.

"I promise." I murmur, "Goheno nin (forgive me)?" There is a long pause.

"Always little one, always." He finally responds.

I hate doing that to my brother but I needed him to save Kili and I can't think of any other way I could have convinced him.

My thoughts are interrupted from a shout from Fili, "He's waking up!"