Chapter 49: War's Doorstep

It took a bit of arm-twisting, but Gandalf and Bard force the king's hand.

I follow my brother to the armory, heart swelling at our reunion. We walk in amiable silence until we arrive. I follow him into the dark tent. The walls are lined with rows upon rows of golden swords, daggers, bows and a variety of armor.

Legolas makes a B-line for a chest in the far corner. He clicks it open swiftly and, with a flick of the wrist, reveals a long sword of elvish make. I stare for a moment.

"Here it is, sister." He says, handing it to me handle first. "Orcrist. Just as you asked."

I take it in my hands, and though extremely heavy, it balances perfectly in my palm.

"I hope to remind Thorin of his warrior spirit." I say, looking up at my brother.

"Aye." He responds, putting a large hand on my shoulder. "The best of luck to you, my sister, warrior and diplomat."

I laugh. "Oh hush! I despise these emotional manipulations. If I could just run the entire Orcan army through with my blades I would rather do that."

"Of course you would." The corners of his lips twitch and he looking into my eyes.

A low rumble rises in the distance. Its quiet, but feels as though its rippling through the air itself.

War is coming. It is at our doorstep.

I feel my stomach twist in fear, but I refuse to let it seep to my expression. I smile at my brother. Legolas slowly gets to one knee in front of me so our eyes are level. I look at him quizzically.

"Larien, I do not doubt your heart." He begins, "You are a fierce fighter and are far more capable than I ever imagined someone of your -err- size could ever be..."

I think I know what is coming next.

"If this were a fight, I would not hesitate to encourage you. However, this is war. You would sooner be trampled than get a slash on the monsters that are coming. There is no shame in sitting this one out."

"No shame!" I object. "This is my fight as well as any other's. There is always shame in cowardice."

"I will not force you, you will do as you wish. But, I would beg you not to be selfish. Do not make me lose you and mother. Do not force Kili to watch your blood stain the earth."

His calm surprises me and catches me off guard. I expected shouting and anger.

"I will be careful, brother." I say in a steady voice. I place Orcrist on the grassy floor and throw my arms around his neck. His large arms double around me with a tight hug.

"Best of luck Larien. No matter what happens, I am so proud of you. I hope to see you again."

"Thank you for teaching me to fight, for raising me, for always putting me before yourself. If I can make you proud then that is all I want. You are the best big brother a girl could ever ask for. I love you. We will meet again."

"I love you too, little sister."

We break the embrace and I pick up the sword. Legolas gets to his feet and walks me to the edge of camp. I hurry back to the wall.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

As soon as my fingertips touch the stone of Erebor, the rope drops back over the edge. I lash the sword to my side and climb up. When I reach the top I am panting from exertion. I look up to meet Kili's eyes. He looks at me for a second but still doesn't speak. Instead he silently leads me to the meeting.

He is still angry with me, I do deserve it.

The oaken doors swing wide to reveal my father and sister, Thorin, Fili, and some miscellaneous company members. Everyone looks up at the sound but Thorin. I take a deep breath and begin my speech.

"Thorin!" I shout, marching down the hall. He doesn't look up. "You are a fool! You are a selfish, cowardly fool! You shrink from responsibility! You abandon those you love! You are more flighty than a child!"

That gets his attention.

"Silence you filthy half-breed!" His voice echoes down the hall like thunder.

I skid to a stop in front of him. I quiet my tone, disgust dripping from my lips.

"I never thought that I would see the day when Thorin son of Thrain cowered from a fight, when he threw out those he loved, when he murdered innocents."

"Guards! Take her away! Throw her from the front gate!" He commands.

Two large dwarves walk towards me from either side.

"You may shatter my bones on the rocks below this mountain, but that does not make your actions less pathetic! A real king listens to his people! A true leader would not be so selfish and blind."

Thorin's expression changes slightly. Tan, muscled hands grip my arms too tightly and I'm lifted off the floor. I wriggle in the guards' grasp.

Thorin looks up sternly, staring me down. "Many die in war, life is cheap. But a treasure such as this cannot be counted in lives lost. It is worth all the blood we can spend." The dwarf-king growls.

"Listen to the girl." My father purrs. "We cannot let our honor as dwarves be destroyed in this manner. If we do not fight now, we will only face another siege."

Dwalin, the white-haired dwarf speaks. He is generally a quiet fellow. However, when his voice touches the air, Thorin snaps to attention.

"You sit here, in these vast halls, with a crown upon your head... and yet you are lesser now than you have ever been." Dwalin's eyes are sad, the disappointment is obvious.

"Do not speak to me as if I were some lowly dwarf lord..." Thorin rumbles, his voice cracking. "as if I were still Thorin... Oakenshield..." He leaps to his feet in anger. "I am your KING!" He bellows, knocking Dwalin back a step.

The old dwarf would have fallen down the steps had not Balin steadied him.

"You were always my King. You used to know that once. But you cannot see what you have become." Dwalin mutters.

Something about this sets off a spark in Kili. He comes rushing forward, angry and out for blood.

"Uncle!" His deep voice echoes through the chamber, resonating through every chest. The young dwarf's anger is flaring. Kili marches up the steps and look down upon the fallen king. "I will not hide behind a wall of stone while others fight our battles for us!!" He shouts in Thorin's face.

The guards hesitate in dragging me and I see my chance. I slam a foot into the one to my left's knee and he collapses. I wriggle from the other dwarf's grasp and run to Kili's side.

"You are a warrior, Thorin son of Thrain!" I cry, spinning Orcrist in my hand, the breeze from it rippling the king's hair, "It is time that you act like one!"

I offer him the weapon, handle first. Every body in the room holds their breath.

The pause is too long. He will reject it. Kili and I have done all we-

My thoughts are interrupted by the sword shifting in my palm. Thorin grasps the weapon expertly in his hand and gets to his feet.

"We are sons of Durin." He says, looking down. The king's eyes raise to meet the room's eyes. "And Durin's Folk do not flee from a fight!" He shouts, brandishing the sword above his head.

A smile spreads across my face and the room erupts in cheering. Dwalin smiles calmly and Thorin crushes his nephew with a hug. His hand cups the base of Kili's neck and he presses their foreheads together.

"Thank you." He whispers, and then looks back out on his subjects. "I have no right to ask this of any of you... but will you follow me one last time?"