Chapter 30: Welcomed

We ride through the night. I'm awoken by the first glints of sunlight peaking over the horizon.

 "Look who's finally up!" Kili whispers in my ear. I can feel his stubble rub against my cheek.

I grumble at him playfully and look around. Its still dark but in the early morning sun, I can just make out the great gate. Its crumbled, a huge gaping hole where the dragon crashed through. Massive stones are strewn across the valley. The kingdom under the mountain is riddled with holes.

I look up at Kili and can guess at his thoughts. His face is grim. He lost everything to that monster.

The bodies of his family are in there!

For Kili's sake and for mine I hope they were incinerated in the dragon-fire. The ponies' hooves clatter along the rocky earth as the sun rises.

Kili jumps off the horse and holds out his arms to me. I brace myself on his forearms and he swings me from the beast's back. Fili ties our ponies to one of the scraggly little trees that grow in the shadow of the mountain. He comes and stands by his brother. They make eyecontact, and, with a deep breath, walk towards the gate together. I follow after them, at a bit of a distance.

This is their moment. Their family. Their loss. I should respect that.

We walk in silence over the stone bridge. I cant help but marvel at the sheer size of the stone-work. The stone dwarves that guard the gate must be six times my height.

This is amazing.

I look up as we pass through the entrance to the mountain.

Hundreds of feet high...

I hear a small clank to my left and spin around.

Calm down. It was nothing.

The brothers continue walking in silence, apparently deaf to the shuffling. I'm certain I hear something now and draw my knives.

Maybe goblins? Orcs? Any number of foul creatures could be down here. Not only dwarves and dragons like gold...

"Fili! Kili!" A voice echoes across the cavern.

Dwarves spring from the shadows onto the brothers. I jump, surprised and panicked brandishing my weapons.

The company is alive!

I recognize one of the older dwarves, Dwalin I think it was. The entire group is laughing and crying and hugging the young brothers. Thorin pushes his way though the crowd.

"Where are they?! Where are my boys?" he bellows with a huge smile.

"Uncle! You're alive!" They shout in unison and he wraps them up in a big hug. All the other dwarves join in.

"The lads are alive! Everyone is alive!" The fat red-haired one laughs.

I am happy for them. I have no clue how the company escaped a fiery death, but the brothers are beyond happy. Their entire family is safe and reunited, what more could they want?

I'm standing off to the side. Away from the group, yet to be noticed.

I miss Legolas.

Before I know it I'm fighting tears.

No! I won't be jealous. I will be happy because they are happy.

Despite my best efforts, a tear slips from my eyes.

I wish for them all to turn and shout to me, and hug me and be glad I'm alive. I wish someone was glad that I lived.

My self-pity is interrupted by a hand on my shoulder. I turn to see the little hobbit. I think his name is Bilbo.

"They are quite the close-knit bunch, aren't they?" He says, smiling up at me. "They say dwarves are all gruff and tough, but there is nothing more dear to them than family." I nod.

There's that word again, family.

"They can be crazy sometimes, but you can't help but love 'em. Loyal to the end they are." He continues. I wipe my eyes with the back of my hand. "I'm glad you're here Lady of Mirkwood. And don't you worry. It took 'em a while to warm up to me too." Bilbo says, squeezing my shoulder reassuringly.

"Thank you." I whisper.

I got my welcome.