Chapter 52: I can't

I wipe Nori's blood off on my trousers. All around me the war rages on and I am incredibly small. For a split second I can look around me. I cannot tell what time it is. Masses of carnivorous bats block out the sun. I kick  one off of Nori's corpse. It screeches in annoyance and takes off into the sky.

A dwarf to my left is pinned to the earth by a pair of hunched goblins. One cackles as the other pushes the chipped sword edge closer to my comrade's heart. The noise, however, is cut short as my blades embed themselves in the spines of both creatures. The dwarf scrambles to his feet immediately and nods before returning to the battle.

I lean back to dodge a blow, then forward to kill. Nori has reminded me of my loved ones and I glance about to see how others are faring. Thats when I see it. Up on the ragged face of the mountain, something is moving. Actually several somethings.

Cut, spin, grab, bite, disembowel.

That one was close, the tree line is distracting. The Evil army is up to something.

There is a trick but I do not know what it could be. A moment of concentration focuses my eyes on the creeping forms of at least 400 orcs filtering through the forest towards...?

Dale! The women and children have sought refuge there! We only left a maybe one hundred soldiers there to protect them. Tilda! Sigrid! Bilbo! They will all be dead.

I gut a goblin and take off running.

"Legolas!" I scream as loudly as I can.

I spin around battling orcs and dwarves. The grey armor of dwarves filters into gold. I slash and cut my way through the jungle of enemies.

"Legolas!"

My feet are pounding the ground and I slip and slide in the bloody mud of war. I turn to parry a slash from my right and-

My head is pounding and I'm on the ground. I scramble to my feet, dizzy. A 20 foot troll hovers over me. It raises its tree of a club to smash my tiny frame. I don't pause for a moment. Speeding between its legs, I add my own two paper cuts as I pass. My head is pounding and my breath is ragged.

"Legolas!" This time I have an answer.

"Em hί, vellyn!" A voice calls to my right.

I change course and slash my way through three angry orcs. I see my brother. Its a three on one fight, just as he likes it. His opponents are large, and armored.  He decapitates one, tossing its body into the other. The creature yowls and stumbles backwards. The third comes at Legolas from behind and, before I can opens my mouth, Legolas back-slashes it across its already hideous face. I take the opportunity to leap into the center of the circle with him.

"What is wrong Larien?!" He calls over the din.

We stand back to back, cutting at the opposing army.

"There are orcs!" I begin.

"Oh really, dear sister, I had not noticed. Thank the forest that you have told me otherwise I would never have-"

"Your sarcasm isn't needed!" I snap, a goblin runs at me and finds a dagger in his eye socket. "Four hundred orcs, maybe more are on the mountain, heading towards Dale. I think they mean to attack the children." My brother is distracted by a particularly savage opponent who has been throwing darts at Legolas. An arrow in the forehead solves the dilemma. "Innocent children are all going to die! Why would someone do such a thing?! The children have nothing to do with this."

"This is what war is. War is an abandonment of morals. I should've known They would try something like this." My brother curses under his breath. "I'll go inform Bard to take what is left of his men to protect their families. Av-'osto (Do not fear). No children will die today."