Chapter 2: The Dungeons

The door clicked shut as Legolas left. He had brought me a new dress, cloak, and knives because my old ones had all worn out. I admired my new dress; it was a deep, forest green with long sleeves that had delicate gold embroidery at the hems.  It had a matching leather vest that synched tightly over my curves and was hard like armor. I had told Legolas that it was rather silly to give me armor, seeing as I never see anyone else. But he insisted that he had already had them fitted to my size and no one else would be able to wear them anyway. So, I had slipped into my new garments, cloak and all, and was testing balance one of my new knives when I heard footsteps in the hall, lots of them. Panicked that someone would take my new blades from me, I slipped the longer one into my boot and its smaller counterpart down the front of my vest.

The door flew open, slamming against the wall and breaking my mirror. Bits of glittering glass covered the room as the guards flooded in. They grabbed me roughly by the arms and started to drag me forward. I looked up to see my brother who was similarly restrained.

Thranduil had found out that Legolas was visiting me!

Then, my brother mouthed one word, "Run." I kicked one of the elves holding me in the knee and slammed my elbow into the other's side. In their surprise they loosened their grip, allowing me to run to my window. With a whisper of apology to my precious window, I slammed my shoulder through the glass. It shattered and I leaped out onto the rocky roof of the room below. Blood began to seep through the sleeve of my dress from where the glass had cut me, but I kept running. I couldn't help but laugh in delight at feeling the wind blow my hair. I drank in the sound of the birds and the smells of the forest; they were no longer restrained by the glass pane of my window.

The guards had recovered quickly and were close behind me. I was at the top of the castle now, which, in the way of the elves, simply looked like the forest floor. I ran past bushes, trees and rocks, touching them as I go by. Even in the gravity of the situation, I couldn't ignore the sense of freedom. The elven guards were much taller than me and were gaining ground with their long legs. I leapt over a small stream, but my foot slipped on the wet ground. My legs flew out from under me and I fell to the ground. I tried to scramble up the bank, but I'm too slow. The guards were on me in a moment, lifting me from the ground. But I couldn't help to think that it was worth it, the small taste of freedom.

It was all too painfully familiar. Everything was exactly like the last time I was in the throne room. Legolas was being held at his fathers' right hand by two guards. Thranduil was sitting, unmoving, in his throne. And I, I was being marched up the steps excruciatingly slowly. I sank to my knees and looked up into his face. It was even worse that last time. Now, there was no regret or sadness in his eyes. There was only anger. He slowly rose to his feet and walked up to me. I craned my head up to try to see his face and he bent over, nearly face-to-face with me. Even though he had locked me up, he was the only father I had ever known. I still held a special place for him in my heart. "Ada (Daddy)?" I whispered, and, for a second, I thought he might say wine (little one) back. Confusion and pain flashed across his face for a moment, but was quickly replaced with and anger even more terrible than before. He reached back his hand as he stood, and slapped me, hard, across the face. I squeaked in pain and gasped. He had really hit me. I sat down completely on the floor and stared at my bound wrists in shock. One tear fell, and then another, and another. Before I knew it, tears were streaming down my face; I was deaf to the world. My ada had hit me. I knew he was ashamed of me, but I had never thought Thranduil would be so cruel.

 I was snapped back to reality by Legolas's shouts. He railed against the guards, trying to get to his father. "You know this isn't right!" he yelled as he was dragged away, "If you really loved my mother you wouldn't to this to Laurien!"Thranduil leaped to his feet and was face to face with my brother in a single bound.

"I loved your mother! If you believe otherwise you are more a fool that I thought. It is because I loved her that I cannot stand to see this, this, HALF-BLOOD, in my house. It is a disgusting mar on her memory! It was your mother who lacked in love, not I. The half-blood is evidence enough for that!" He shouted back, and turning to my guards yelled, "Take that disgrace to the dungeons!"

So, they drug me down a disgusting, dank, dark little cell, where I am now.