Chapter 4: Escape

I lay by a sparkling brook that trips over rocks as it rushes by.  I know I am dreaming but I enjoy the sensation of the grass between my fingers all the same. Legolas is there. And he comes to sit next to me. "Hello." He says, kneeling in the grass to my left, "It is good to see that you are well. Are they being kind to you?"

"No. The guards haven't fed or watered me since I've arrived."

"What?! How are you still living? Oh my poor nethig (little sister)! Where are they keeping you? I'm coming to get you at once. Do you still have your blades?"

"Don't be ridiculous. This is a dream, there's nothing you can do."

"I'm real nethig, I'm really here."

"Prove it. Prove it's really you when I wake up."

"How? What do I need to do?"

"Come to the entrance of the dungeons and shout three times. Then I will know you're real. If it really is you, if you can really come into my dreams, can I get into yours?"

"I'm not sure nethig. Your dwarf blood makes it hard for even me to come to you like this." My brother says, standing to leave. "Do your best to wake up once I leave. I want you to hear my shouts." He walks to the edge of the clearing and dissolves.

My eyes fly open and I jump up. "Easy there girl! Where are you going in such a hurry? We're still locked in this stupid cell if that's what you're wondering." Mr. Kili says, sitting at the other end of the room.

"That's not it." I say, rushing to the cell door, suddenly my energy is renewed at the hope of Legolas coming for me.

"Well, then what's got this little half-pint so excited?"

"Hush!" I snap, listening for Legolas's shouts "and I'm not that small."

"Maybe not for a hobbit" he mutters with a smirk.

"Wait, did you hear that?" I say excitedly. One, two, three shouts echo through the halls. "It worked!" I shout, elated. I look back to Kili who just looks at me like I'm crazy.

"What did?" he asks.

"I spoke with my brother!" I continue.  It is obvious that he is still confused so I tell him about my dream.

"You elves are constant mysteries." He says, shaking his head with a chuckle after I'm done with my story.

"And dwarves aren't?" I retort.

"Of course we're not, none of this confusing magical nonsense interrupting our sleep!" He responds.

"But you do hide in caves. That's a little shady and mysterious, don't you think?" I retort, raising an eyebrow. 

"They aren't just caves. That does them no justice! They are beautiful underground palaces where huge stone pillars stretch high into the air, supporting lofty ceilings set with gold and gems the size of your fist!" he says, waving his arms to demonstrate. "Or so my uncle tells me." He continues, his eyes dropping to the floor.

"Have you not seen them for yourself?" I say, dumbfounded.

"Well, not exactly. The dragon took our homeland before I was born. We've been roaming Middle Earth ever since." He continues eyes still on the ground. "But we are going to reclaim it!" He stands, determined. "That's why my kin and I came on this journey! We are here to kill that horrid dragon and reclaim what is ours. That is, if these repulsive elves ever release us from their dungeons."

"I'm sure ada-err-Thranduil will come to an agreement with your leader." I say, and even as the words leave my lips I know it is a lie. Everything I thought I knew about Thranduil is a lie. But, regardless of my thoughts, my words seem to cheer the dwarf.