001

It had been a stressful few weeks.

The Volturi were still in town. At least, the kings and elite guard were.

Niko had to stay with the Cullens.

Though she never crossed paths with the red eyed vampires. Something she was grateful for.

Everything had been growing worse. The normally calm spirits were terrified, trying desperately to warn Niko. The Volturi scared them. The Volturi were the ones to kill many of them.

The only one who wasn't constantly screaming in her ears was Didyme. She didn't like the Volturi either. Not anymore. But she wanted to help Niko.

But the sedatives Carlisle was forced to give her helped much more.

Niko yawned as she leaned forward to move a chess piece. Renesmee sat opposite to her, staring intently at the board.

Honestly, Niko almost hated Edward for making Renesmee like chess. Because about five times a day the kid begged Niko to play.

With a wide smile, Renesmee moved a piece. "I beat you again aunt Niko!" Nodding slightly to the younger girl, Niko began resetting the board.

While normally she would despise the game, Niko liked how it made her niece so happy. And she was actually beginning to figure out how the game worked. "Your move Ness."

While Renesmee began to start considering her options, Niko turned her head slightly to glance behind her.

Now, Niko would admit that occasionally when it came to the spirits she could see, her glasses were a bit rose colored. And those glasses were never on within the first few moments of a beings appearance. So, every so often...

"What the fuckkk...." Niko spoke almost silently as she whispered to herself. She saw Didyme. Something that was normal, however the woman's appearance was not.

Her skin was covered in cracks. In some places it was like someone brought a jackhammer down on her. Her neck had to be the worst. It looked as if it was ripped apart, which it technically was. The cracks were slowly healing but it was still an odd sight to see.

"That medication is finally starting to wear off! Do not let him give it to you again!" Niko nodded slightly in response, unsure what to say.

It was easy to forget that Didyme was actually dead. But sometimes Niko got reminders of that. And they tended to be harsh ones.

"Niko? Are you alright?" For a moment Niko continued to stare at Didyme, not answering her sister. Then she looked forward, back to the chess board. "Yeah. All good. Never better."

Picking up the glass of water beside the chess board, Niko's eyes remained wide as she took a sip.

But as soon as Didyme came back so did everyone else.

They were barely two moves into the second game. "Fuck!"

Niko stood up fast, kicking the chair in some direction as she brought her hands up to her ears.  "They're coming!" The words repeated a million times

Before anyone could stop her she took off in a sprint. Out of the house, into the woods. She was desperate to make the spirits quiet. It was painful.

_

Man I know it's short and shitty I do not need to be told I just needed a way to finally start this fucking book there are like 6 drafts for the first chapter

I hope it gets better but no promises