002

Niko laid in the clearing, looking up to the dark sky

Niko laid in the clearing, looking up to the dark sky. No matter how many years she had lived there, she never ceased to be amazed by the ability to see the stars.

When she lived with her mother it was almost impossible. Too much light pollution in the big cities. But in Forks you could count the stars for hours.

It was peaceful. When she wanted to be away from the living she would find the darkest place possible and if she could, draw pictures with the stars. Flowers, clouds, really anything she could think of. It was relaxing.

Typically.

It was nights like these that made her miss her brother and sister. The three of them would stay up for hours playing in the backyard, trying to dodge mosquitoes.

Of course, they never did. They always came inside with dozens of bites covering their legs and arms. But they always had the most fun.

Niko felt a tear slip out the corner of her eye. It slid down the side of her face until it was stopped by her ear. It was uncomfortable but she didn't care enough to move.

Twisting the ring on her left hand, Niko kept her eyes on the stars. Even when she heard the sound of a stick breaking under someone's foot.

"Are you Nikolina?" Truthfully she hadn't heard the full name in years. She was so used to being called Niko, sometimes she forgot where it came from.

It annoyed her. The name Nikolina was too personal.

It sounded like it was a girl who said it. Young, maybe. At least younger than Niko. Her voice was vampiric in nature.

Two escape routes. One, Into the woods. Pro's, she may know the woods better than the other girl. She knew the way to every hidden spot in the city from where they were now. Cons, she couldn't run faster than a vampire. Vampires are more observant of their surroundings. The other girl may have a power.

The second route was guaranteed to work but it was the more dangerous option.

"That depends."

Niko turned her head to the side, watching as the girl began to walk around the clearing. She looked young. A teenager at most. Certainly not even 16 yet when she was turned.

"My name is Jane. You know the Cullens are searching the city for you. Your sister has worried herself into a tizzy." It.. made sense.

Bella always did worry so much about Niko. It was nice but sometimes Niko wished her sister would save herself the trouble of worrying.