013

"It was an unusually cold night

"It was an unusually cold night. Nikolina Swan wrote a note, and left it on her fiance Stacy's bed before leaving for the nearby corner store.

The next morning a woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, found Nikolina's body on an abandoned side street.

It was identified that she had been exposed to high levels of the chemical chloroform before her rape and subsequent murder.

Volterra Police decline to comment on whether or not a suspect has been identified at this point.

Our hearts are with Nikolina's family, local Chief of Police Charlie Swan, her sister Isabella and brother Jeremiah.

We are all still reeling from the murder of Rebecca Hall, and though this horrific event did not take place here, police are implementing an eight o'clock curfew.

Children and parents alike both support this."

The morning news broadcast had been in the minds of everyone who heard it.

It felt impossible for everyone to believe it.

Charlie took it hard. So did Bella.

Hardly anyone knew how to process it.

Niko was dead. She really truly was.

And when she died she brought Didyme back to life.

Didyme was human now. She was the only person who saw everything that happened.

From the moment it started to the moment Niko's body was taken away in a bag, she saw it all.

She wouldn't say a word. Not to anyone. Aro wanted to comfort her. But he couldn't bring himself to. Because he knew he would see what she had.

But Didyme's resurrection wasn't the only thing that happened when Niko died.

It seemed like death itself had been stopped since that day.

Not a person in the world died. Terminally ill patients got better. People horrifically injured survived.

Even animals. They could've been cut into pieces and packaged in plastic. But even still, their flesh was alive.

No one knew what to do.

They left that problem to Neal and Jeremiah. After all they were the only ones who could do anything about it.

Her funeral was in forks. Though there they only buried an empty casket.

Her true resting place was in the gardens.

Behind the castle there was a beautiful garden, full of flowers. It was maintained by Jane and Alec, and it was where Bella decided Niko would be buried.

Ultimately they left that choice up to her. There was too much Charlie couldn't know and... No one else could handle making the decision.

Bella knew it was there that Niko would want to be. Near Stacy, Aro, Marcus, Caius.

For weeks no one... Knew how to cope. Things in Volterra seemed to reach a standstill.

There were no vampires they could kill. They couldn't bring in the tours because no one could die.

Didyme still hadn't spoken. She spent most of her days being forced by Marcus to eat and drink. Other than that she slept.

There was.... Nothing. Nothing anyone could really do to not think about it.

But then, one day, birds fell from the sky.

Birds fell from the sky, pets took their last breaths and there were dead bugs everywhere.

Then humans started to die. Then vampires.

And then the door was opened again. People could die again.

Jeremiah and Neal had done nothing. There was nothing they could do, it would be almost a year before a single child in the family could even be born.

And that meant Niko came back.

Someone, somewhere, out there was her. Her soul was alive again. Maybe without the same memories, but it truly didn't matter to any of them.

Marcus saw the bonds be created once more. Stretching from each of them far into the distance.

And they had at least some form of hope.
________

I didn't initially plan to write this but I'm glad I did.

I know the writing hasn't been great up to this point but this is the end of the book.

Im already working on book two