32: A Wisteria Tale

A/n: This is the story of how Ubuyashiki-sama met your Obachan. You can skip if you want.

•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•᪥•

It was late in the afternoon as a small, delicate hand moved a brush dipped in black ink across paper. The room was filled with a peaceful silence as a young boy adorned in a kimono sat at the table, writing.

Tᴏ Wʜᴏᴍ Iᴛ Mᴀʏ Cᴏɴᴄᴇʀɴ,
To Mʏ ʙᴇʟᴏᴠᴇᴅ ғᴀᴍɪʟʏ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟ sᴜʙᴏʀᴅɪɴᴀᴛᴇs ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ Dᴇᴍᴏɴ Sʟᴀʏᴇʀ Cᴏʀᴘs; I, Kᴀɢᴀʏᴀ Uʙᴜʏᴀsʜɪᴋɪ, ʜᴇʀᴇʙʏ ʀᴇsɪɢɴ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴍʏ ᴘᴏsɪᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏғ ʙᴇɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ 97ᴛʜ ʟᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴅᴇᴄɪᴅᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʀᴜɴᴀᴡᴀʏ ғʀᴏᴍ ʜᴏᴍᴇ. Pʟᴇᴀsᴇ, ᴅᴏ ɴᴏᴛ ʙᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ʟᴏᴏᴋɪɴɢ ғᴏʀ ᴍᴇ, ғᴏʀ I ɴᴏᴡ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇғғᴇᴄᴛs ᴏғ ᴍʏ ᴄᴜʀsᴇ. Fᴏʀ ᴛʜᴀᴛ, I ᴍᴀʏ ᴅɪᴇ sᴏᴏɴ. Sᴏ, I ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴅᴇᴄɪᴅᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴠᴇ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴇsᴛ ᴏғ ᴍʏ ᴄʜɪʟᴅʜᴏᴏᴅ ɪɴ ᴘᴇᴀᴄᴇ ᴡʜɪʟᴇ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ɪs sᴛɪʟʟ ᴛɪᴍᴇ. I ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ʙᴇ ᴀ ʟᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ ɪғ I'ᴍ ᴡᴇᴀᴋ, ᴛʜᴇʀᴇғᴏʀᴇ, I ғᴇᴇʟ ʟɪᴋᴇ I ᴀᴍ ʙᴇɪɴɢ ᴀ ʙᴜʀᴅᴇɴ ᴛᴏ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴏɴᴇ. I ᴘʀᴀʏ ʏᴏᴜ'ʟʟ ғᴏᴜɴᴅ sᴏᴍᴇᴏɴᴇ ᴛᴏ ʀᴇᴘʟᴀᴄᴇ ᴍᴇ!

Mʏ ᴅᴇᴇᴘᴇsᴛ ᴀᴘᴏʟᴏɢɪᴇs,
                    Kᴀɢᴀʏᴀ Uʙᴜʏᴀsʜɪᴋɪ.❞

Once finished writing his farewell letter, a young Kagaya put down the brush and calmly stood up to gather his things that he'd packed earlier in the day.

"That should do it." He says, tying the knot of his furoshiki cloth that held a box he filled with rations and a canteen of fresh water before throwing it over his back.

Looking into the full-length mirror, Kagaya's lavender eyes gazed at his reflection, only to see what appeared to be a pretty girl dressed in a beautiful lavender kimono staring back at him.

Due to his fragile and delicate appearance caused by the curse mark, his parents had decided to raise him as a girl, dressing him in soft fabrics and teaching him to behave with gentleness and poise.

Releasing a deep yet saddening sigh, Kagaya quietly made his way towards the open window. He had made a makeshift rope using his bedsheets to make it easier to slip out of the manor unnoticed. He was careful not to wake his parents or alert Kakushi and Hashira as he climbed out of the mansion walls and into the backyard.

Luckily, it was getting dark with the sun beginning to sit, and the purple colors of his kimono made it easier for him to blend in with the night as he reached the stoned wall that surrounded the Ubuyashiki estate and had slipped through a small crack opening.

With that, Kagaya was now free.

──────────────

Never had little Kagaya thought that the city of Asakusa, Tokyo, would be so big!

As he walked through the bustling streets, he couldn't help but marvel at the towering buildings and the endless stream of people going about their daily lives. The streets seemed to stretch on forever, with each corner revealing a new sight or sound that captured her attention. From the colorful street vendors selling delicious snacks to the traditional temples hidden among the modern buildings, Asakusa was a vibrant mix of old and new that left Kagaya in awe.